Pear buds, blossoms, and fruit 2017

They look good. How many weeks ahead of Korean Giant are they for you?
I’m counting the days to pick my first Korean Giant! Getting closer…

2 Likes

You will feel the cold on your face before Korean giant are ready. They will be worth the wait!

2 Likes

Many peoples favorite for ease of growing, flavor, and disease resistance is little harrow sweet! Its not as big as harrow delight but the flavor and the time of year it ripens makes it a very welcome pear. I grow a couple of trees of these. They are close to ripe but they need a little more time. I ate a couple today that were early and they were very good. The red blush is not typical of harrow sweet but they can have a blush, but nearly anything left in the Kansas sun gets a red blush including the people!

3 Likes

I picked a Korean Giant today that got pecked by a bird. It’s not sweet enough yet and the seeds aren’t very dark yet.

9 Likes

Drew,
Your gold bracelet is eye catching, more interesting than the giant pear. :):star_struck:

@Susu, be patient. At the same time, guard your fruit. Today, I lost another large KG to a squirrel. Caught red-footed. Had it not taking such a big pear, I would not be so upset.

3 Likes

Thanks Tippy. It was a gift. I figure if anything happened to me, I can just go pawn it off and at the very least buy lunch and a bus ticket home :rofl:

3 Likes

@mamuang everyone who tried drippin honey this year which is 8 people preferred it to Korean Giant this year. Its interesting when i tried your korean giant i preferred your korean giant to the korean giant that have produced here for 2 years. My question is if these will switch back and forth with good and bad years for us in the future. My drippin honey are very mature so i do believe they are at their peak. @39thparallel what are your thoughts? I did not get your feedback on drippin honey yet. By the way i love chojuro from the @39thparallel orchard.

1 Like

Clark,
Several factors may contribute to difference in taste of KG and DH in Kansas and in MA.

The two important ones are

• weather - your spring comes early, your summer is very hot and you have more dry days.

Soil - our soil probably has different soil composition. My yard in particular (fill) is low in nutrients

Also, your and my taste. It is subjective. Even if our KG and DH are exactly the same, you and I may still have different opinions on exactly the same fruit.

2 Likes

The Dripping Honey I sampled from your orchard were choice. The only downside I can see to them is that they do not seem to keep well (About 10 days Max). Hosui will keep for 8-12 weeks maybe, longer. Hosui flavor can sometimes improve in storage. They start to have more of a melting texture and take on a more complex wine like flavor.

3 Likes

I noticed the same with Drippin’ Honey. 3 weeks later and some showed internal browning when kept in the fridge. I need to figure out how to store them longer once my tree further matures and really produces.

2 Likes

Korean Giant will keep the longest. 3 plus months.

3 Likes

Like Tony said, KG, keep in a closed plastic bag in a fridge will retain its taste and crunchiness for many weeks.

2 Likes

@39thparallel drippin honey will keep until spring if harvested earlier but that takes away from flavor a little bit so yours were ripe to perfection Drippin' Honey Asian Pear
@mamuang yes we cannot overlook individual taste your right. I prefer drippin honey a little but many people who visit comment side by side with others drippin honey is the best pear they ever had. There opinion has to do with texture also in my opinion and they prefer the asian pears to European pears. I just need to grow both kg and dh but also plan to add chojuro. My suspicion is also since Drippin Honey takes years of growing to reach its peak flavor many will find out like @scottfsmith did this year its a very high quality pear. Many pears are like that taking 2-5 years of fruiting at times to realize their true quality. Its not at its best the first year it fruits and may not be for several years but once it reaches that peak flavor it typically has a very good flavor every year. I think Korean Giant is growing more on me as it matures as well. Its one of the best asian asian pears. I may find in a couple years my opinion changes but time will tell.

2 Likes

Clark,
Today My Ayers, Honey Sweet and Korean Giant started to open. This is the first year of Honey Sweet, only a couple of cluster so I’ll hand pollinate it with the other two varieties.

My Ayers ripens in the summer while KG in late fall. Well, they bloom about the same time here. In other words, bloom time is not related to ripening time.

2 Likes

@BobVance I know this is an old thread but not to many people have the ubileen pear. I put one in last year, but I know nothing about them. Did the quality of yours improve over time? How about average picking time?

1 Like

Hard to believe this thread was started that many years ago. Can we do better this year? It is sometimes hard for me to match what i did 5 years + ago. I intend to try to do better!

1 Like

Almost time to see the beautiful pear blooms again and the sweet treats that follow! @rossn thanks for the like on the karls favorite and others in bloom. @hannah and I were just talking about that pear.

1 Like

Wow! You’ve shown us a pear paradise!

1 Like

@hannah

Here is a bloom that almost was with us! That would be paradise. Thank you for the kind words regarding the orchard.

With exception to the tag these photos were taken March, 17th 2024, the first photos were taken of a graft that I had grafted on Sunday April 2nd, 2023. It’s the only pear variety that I have that has open leaves/buds

These two photos are the same area of the graft, at different angles

This photo was taken at the end of the graft

This photo is at another area of the same graft

Here are two different angles of the graft’s graft area, these angles are nothing like the real angle of the graft, just trying to show how the graft is looking, in just under a year time
P1560759_Cropped

P1560757_Cropped

And here’s a photo to show you how long this cutting got last year

The next photos were taken on that same day, they were taken of a second graft that I did of the same asian pear variety.

As you can see this one grew a lot more than the other one of this variety did this year, I actually had difficulty fitting the entire graft in the shot, especially with the outdoor lighting situation, this is not the entire length of the graft.

This photo does not show the full length of the graft either

Here are some views of this graft’s leaves

P1560782_Cropped

And here is this graft’s grafting area
P1560764_Cropped

1 Like