Drooling Trees

Hello and thanks for joining me for another episode of “I have no idea what I’m doing.”

I decided to head out and check on the trees during the first cold bout we’ve had here in the Dallas area, and I have no idea if the things that I saw are normal, or if I should be concerned.

Up first is a Cherry tree that has been on life support since we planted it. Zero idea what this stuff is:

Next is a peach tree. It looks like sap, but it’s coming from multiple old wounds:

I also found this thing on a plum:

And finally, the leaves on a newly planted fig. I have no idea if this is just how they die in the fall, or if something else is wrong:

Any ideas? I sprayed the trunks to protect against borers, but I’m a bit out of my depth here, so I’m not sure what I did worked.

2 Likes

Bacterial canker is my guess, a common disease for cherries. It can be deadly.

Here one of the thread about it.

I will let more experienced fig expert like @hoosierbanana respond to your fig issue.

Your figs probably have fig rust. But, not to worry. They are deciduous and will drop those leaves soon anyway. You’ll get a fresh start in spring.

Is there anything I should do next year to prevent it? I’m figuring out a spray schedule for stone fruit, but I have no plan for figs yet…

Thanks!

On cherry (photo #1) it’s likely bacterial canker. Unfortunately, very common on cherry, and chances of survival are slim.

On photo #4, it’s a pear tree, not a plum. Just remove that thing, it’s probably an insect egg mass or a pupa.

Collect the fig leaves after they drop and dispose of them to reduce spores next year.

Pear! That’s what I meant, I swear! :rofl:

Bummer about the cherry, but it barely made it through the year in the first place. Thanks for the ID

Any ideas on the peach? Is that just normal sap expression?

The peach does not look too bad. I would not worry about it unless you start noticing dieback on that branch.

2 Likes