Drought questions

about 3/8ths? Why not just call it a half?

2 Likes

Just say you got 37 hundredths :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It was about the length of my fingernail on my pointer finger, if we want to talk about the level of precision.

2 Likes

Hey Jay,
Do you just want to one up against Galina and me? :laughing:

I did not get the 15-20 of moderate rain. It poured and moved on.

We need to wait until Sat before the next rain will show up and I sure hope it will.

2 Likes

At this point, I think 1/8" of rain and tax-free liquor is all I have on you and @galinas.

3 Likes

I can tolerate the rain difference, but not the liquor, it is unfair! :laughing:

3 Likes

Strawberry picking was a chore. I think it took me an hour and a half for 10 quarts… Saw plenty dehydrating while attached too.

2 Likes

It looks like the rain may come soon. After just 0.04" in the last 3 weeks (per WC) and about 1" in the first week of June, we’ve got a lot of wet days ahead. At least from the forecast earlier this afternoon. When I looked again a few minutes ago, 2 of the days are now partly cloudy instead.

I don’t think it has been too bad this year. Normally I start to get black rot on my grapes by now. But they looked completely clean. With the rain coming though, I got a fungicide spray down on them and the peaches/plums that made it through the late frosts.

Yes- As well as being a ton of work, I’ve never had a locally grown sweet cherry which was even half as good as the best ones from stores. Now sour cherries are actually pretty decent for jam, though I’ve been losing mine to rot and birds in recent years. Next year I’ll need to spray some fungicide at blossom time, as a lot of the flowers get blossom blight and what sets then rots.

You may not be famous enough yet for us to name a unit of measurement after you (the “nail” = 3/8"). I’m just lucky that whoever they named the foot after was sized just right for my foot (when covered by my shoe) to exactly match. It makes it a lot easier to walk off distances :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We have been ok this month, but I’ve had that forecast plenty (Lightning bolt every day in the forecast) and ended up with under a quarter inch total.

1 Like

I am sure it is a big deal in your part of the country/world, but illustrates how important perspective is…

Here in SF Bay area in CA, we’d be thinking the world was ending by flood with 2" of rain in June.

3 Likes

I checked and for where I live the average is between 4 and 5" for each month in the year other than February (3.5"). But I do seem to recall some summers where there would be a decently long stretch of dry weather, so what we’ve had isn’t unprecedented.

I will believe the forecasts when the ground has absorbed the rain. There’s only a couple of days in the long term forecast where the chances reach a hopeful 80% and thunderstorms can be very hit or miss. If on those two days we get about a 10th inch the forecast will have fulfilled the definition of rain.

At any rate, I will be using all my well will allow this morning to irrigate.

Incidentally, it isn’t so hard to prevent bunch rot on grapes as long as you get the Myclo or Indar down by about 2 weeks after petal fall for apples. The stuff sets quickly and is rain proof.

2 Likes

in june we average 5’’ we’ve had a little over 2 so far.

A welcome soaking rain this morning here in the Finger Lakes. The established trees have been doing fine, but I’ve been watering watering and more watering the young trees with special attention to the newly grafted apple trees. The joy of seeing the new green buds turn into leaves has turned to concern as a few trees don’t look so good. Had two successful Kestrel grafts, but I think I might lose them both. One new young Primate has withered and died (helped by slugs). Fortunately two others look in very good shape. There are other pairs of successful grafted trees where one looks good and the other not, but that’s why I grafted more than one.

Why have slugs been thriving in all this heat and dryness? They’ve been even worse on our strawberries.

1 Like

If the chance of rain is 100%, and you get a three minute light sprinkle that registers 0.01”, the forecast was technically “correct.” So even that doesn’t mean much.

1 Like

Let’s face it, we are a long ways from have a crystal ball for weather.

Maybe all that watering:wink:

I don’t think I’ve ever had bunch rot, based on the pics online. I get black rot, where the small black spot expands to take the whole grape. But, your suggestion caused me to do some more reading about black rot and it seems like I’ve been spraying too late for it. I should start at feast by first bloom and continue for a few weeks after. I think first bloom would be about 2 weeks after petal fall for apples, as you suggest. In the past, I’ve waited for small fruit and then tried to spray before seeing the spots. But if I forget by a few days (pretty common) or the weather doesn’t cooperate, then there goes most of the grapes. The other solution I had in the past was zip-lock bags- they seemed to keep the spores off the new fruit, if applied early enough.

This year was just lucky to have virtually no rain from from bloom until now.

I just call it all bunch rot because I am overfull of terminology, varietal names, pesticide names…

I think that whenever I hit it before the black spots appear, I’m OK but if they are spotted before, the crop is at least going to be ugly and unappealing.

1 Like

This spring has been one of the wettest in memory for us. It was finally dry enough to do some spraying on Tuesday and luckily it’s not rained since. Well a few sprinkles this morning and calling for more later today. Then lots tomorrow and ~80% chance every day this coming week. If you can believe weather predictions more than an hour out of course…

Last year though, we basically had no rain in August or September either one. Worst drought for this area since the weather folks have been keeping records. Fear this year will be a repeat of that…