Drought questions

I know. I’ve given them a haven.

OK- you called it, at least for today. There was 0.05" of rain, even with the 80% chance. It doubled the amount of rain that we’d had in the last 3+ weeks (0.04"). Basically, it made things a bit wet and very humid, without anything getting absorbed.

The 60% for Sunday and two other 80% for Tuesday/Wednesday don’t seem as promising now :slight_smile:

Well, we got meaningful rain here- about a half inch. Plants look happy today. If we get the same tonight they will remain pleased for maybe 3 more days.

Meanwhile I will continue to devote a great deal of time watering until we get at least an inch in one downpour maybe 2.

1 Like

Lol, totally correct. Folks in most parts of the country really have no idea what a true drought is. Hell, 2014-2018 were classified as “exceptionally dry”. We literally don’t get rain from mid April, through mid November most years. Zero rain. And accompanied by 100°+ days. East coast “droughts” are what we would consider our rainy season :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

@BobVance,
Yesterday, we got about 1/4” which is better than none.

Right now, the sky looks ominous so I hope we get another down pour. Again, it could be a tease and those clouds would just drift pass us.

2 Likes

we just caught the edge of a shower here. think a good one is coming. a lot of thunderheads to the south and west of us.

1 Like

@galinas,
Hope you got good soak, too. We had to wait until dark before we got good amount of rain. So nice to finally got a good one.

We got a soak, how good I can tell tomorrow, I have several buckets outside I can check. Right now it is more thunderstorm, than rain. My poor dog is hiding in the bath tab - place she doesn’t normally like…

2 Likes

We haven’t had any rain in more than a week I think. Last 3 days they called for thunderstorm but never happened. Same thing today but I figured it won’t happen today either so I went ahead and watered everything. Of course now it’s pouring outside!

2 Likes

WC reports 0.18", but I think it must have been double that. It was really coming down for a few minutes.

3 Likes

It’s finally raining here! We are still in a dry slot amongst some pretty substantial rain to the West and North of us but I’ll take it!

1 Like

We got a good gully-washer, and then it settled in for the night. More to come. Only downsides are that I need to spray my apple for powdery mildew, and our lows are around 47-50 F. Things sure would like some heat.

I joke with my wife that every time she plans a “get-away” it means there will be absolutely no rain at home. Sadly each of these “vacations” generally means I will return to one or more things dead.

Even with 2 adult children still at home, they seem incapable or disinterested in actually stepping up and watering for me.

Given that this year has already cost me a few difficult to impossible things to replace I fear what our 8 days away will cost (why are we going in the middle of July again??)

Scott

1 Like

We got 2 inches of rain and this beauty!

6 Likes

Is that mushroom or some exotic plant?

Mushroom, Chicken of the wood, Laetiporus. It grew since yesterday morning, we walked there yesterday - it was not there.

3 Likes

Our area of western Wisconsin got anywhere from 6 to 8 inches of rain last night. That should help the curled corn!

1 Like

Hey, I’ve got to start somewhere!

Well, it rained here yesterday on the 1st of July after a very dry June.

I can remember my daddy years ago saying that if it rains on the 1st of July that it will rain every day in July. I believe that is just an old saying and I doubt it there is anybody on this forum that has ever heard of that before. It has not rained here so far today but it is clouding up. About 9.5 hours left today so we will see. I have seen it rain every day in July before.

2 Likes

So how did you spend your Fourth?
Well, I watered the trees in the orchard, had zoom reunion with family, rototilled, and did I mention watering the trees in the orchard?

5 Likes