Durian article

I’ve never eaten (or smelled) Durian, but I’m sure some people on the forum will find this interesting. The article appeared a few days ago in the LA Times.

6 Likes

I enjoyed this article. I tried a durian in 1999,when i was in Malaysia. I thought it was one of the foulest things i have ever taisted. It left a very dry-mouth after taiste. It was simular to eating a green banana peel.

1 Like

"Tan asked whether he could have a branch to graft onto one of his trees, but the woman shooed away the idea. So that evening he returned with a villager armed with a rifle. At Tan’s instructions, and for pay, the man pruned a footlong branch with a well-placed shot.

Thirty-five years after his heist, Tan is reaping the rewards."

1 Like

the mornthong aka montong variety is probably the best option for would-be neophytes to durian. Frozen king durian costs 25$ for less than a lb, and that’s with seed. Montong is pretty good due to flesh thickness and overall flavor, and sold seedless at less than half-price.
Actually just had these yesterday and have to say the assessment favoring one over the other is an individual, subjective thing.

that bad deed went unpunished…

3 Likes

Except for the irony that “His (son’s) biggest fear, however, is that someone steals a branch from one of his new hybrid trees, just like his father did so many years earlier”

1 Like

they already made a fortune out of it. Most people would probably try to give back or “pay it forward”, but the father and son duo would much prefer to be tormented by their self-inflicted and scroogey paranoia.

3 Likes