Dwarf cavendish banana

Read the backstory on Jadu’l melon, 'Small Jadu'i' Watermelon – Experimental Farm Network Seed Store. Great project!

1 Like

The base is very solid here. Still I will chop back and see what the middle looks like! this is from yesterday afternoon.

5 Likes

That’s a happy looking mango next to it, too!

Thanks, yeah that and the carrie mango were doing just fine over winter. A lot warmer then last winter!

1 Like

not to say it might not fully come back up but it looks alive! It’s grown a bit since last night!

3 Likes

You’re good, I think! I dug out the corm today, and mine is D E D, dead. The pups had some promising color, so I cut one open with a shovel. It was softer than it should have been and appears to be full of mycelia:

I also may have solved the mystery of why it seemed over-watered, even though I very rarely watered it recently. Last season, it sent large roots around the root balls of all three in-ground trees (a citrus and two avocados).

I had been watering those trees a lot recently because they were pushing a spring flush, and seemed thirsty since the soil moisture was staying persistently low around them, even while the banana didn’t seem to need water. Now I know why! The banana was stealing their water, albeit to its own detriment. Hopefully balance has been restored.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to see that happen. Glad you figured it out though.
Raised beds are a good idea too. If it happens again.

Wow, I was just looking back on when that banana was put in. It was planted Sept 27! For it to be that late and survive our winter I am very impressed! It’s an apple banana btw , hardy to zone 8.