Dwarf Everbearing mulberry - M. nigra?

i already have noir of spain, so not inclined to buy. Am actually a bit worried(apart from intrigued) that hiddensprings might have a different mulberry that is also labeled as noir.

1 Like

Commonly sold in the south? Certainly it is not native there.

Morus alba
Native:

Asia-Temperate
China: China

From “lesson books” (scrolls) we know that the Moors (and Berbers … decendents of Homer’s “Cretians” of Mesopotamia) brought M. nigra to Spain. It has been an occasionally forgotten but treasured plant in regions south of Barcelona (41°N latitude). Those trees are considered the source for the selection “Noir Of Spain”.

I did get one from Hidden Springs last year,to see what the fruit is like. Brady

Thanks for testing their inventory. Historically they have bogus Genus-species names.

It’s an alba seedlng that originated in Florida.

1 Like

I literally just bought one today. Isn’t this a shady address forthem? False advertisement and what not?

I was reading this and another thread. Besides the subspecies mislabel, is dwarf everbearing mulberry actually dwarfing? If the fruit is just passe, wondering if there is any value in using it as a dwarfing rootstock vs the wild mulberries that pop up everywhere for me.

I can answer your question JustPeachy because I read the entire thread right now. The “Dwarf Everbearing” may have short internodes, but, it grows non-dwarf-like. However, The cultivar ‘Gerardi Dwarf’ is, and using it as an interstem (interstem-graft) will accomplish dwarfing. I’m about 99.9% sure Gerardi Dwarf is a rubra/Red Mulberry. So there you have it . . .

Dax

3 Likes

I was confused if the other thread was even referring to “dwarf everbearing” or the description “dwarf” that the original poster had seen in the nursery catalog for their mislabel.

I saw the note on short internodes in this thread, but was curious about actual grow out, because I’ve really never seen a naturally dwarfing mulberry. Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated.

My pleasure, JustPeachy.

Dax

@Richard, since someone else resurrected this thread, what bogus genus trees have Hidden Springs sold in the past? I placed an order with them this year after seeing that they had 100% positive reviews on “the scoop.”

It’s been a couple years so I looked at their website. The names, taxonomy, and descriptions still all appear to come from wholesale plant distributors. The information is no better than labels you would find in the garden department of a big box stores. So in my opinion it is a business in which no one cares about the details of their products.

Hi Steven,
Did you determine if any or all of the Burnt Ridge mulberries you ordered are morus nigra? Also I wondered if I got one of these plants would it require a pollenizer?

Duane

1 Like

The Noir of Spain and Persian Fruiting mulberry from Burnt Ridge are both nigras. The plants and fruit are very similar. I only had one last yr, the PFM, and it sets fine by itself. I got fruit the second yr. And more the third despite being moved from pot to ground in January. Growth has been 12-18 inches per yr. I could get more growth with more water and fertilizer but the small size suits my greenhouse. The fruit is all it’s claimed to be, very sweet and tart.

5 Likes

is the noir de spain any way superior to persian? or nirgra they are all the same. there is no difference except for the name?

@Richard
Quote;
(" So in my opinion it is a business in which no one cares about the details of their products.")
This is unfair,
They do care !
I have spent several days on their farm / nursery.
They are really good people, passionate horticulturalist, doing the best they can to keep track of things,
While I can not garentee the identity of all their plants.
They do care !
They offer plants that do as good / better than any under no spray / organic conditions

So @Ahouse422.
I would recommend Hidden springs nursery.

2 Likes

Nobody appears to be answering your question. All taste close. I heard Black Beauty is the best, but often nurseries have mislabeled plants of Black Beauty. Some might grow better in humid areas than others. Their are other lines of nigra plants too. Like I have a Tsarigradska mulberry seedling from Vratsa Bulgaria zone 6 (morus nigra). The mother tree produced both male and female parts so this seedling still has the same genetics, just mixed up differently than the mother tree. It is the hardiest strain I heard of. We have one lone tree in zone 6 Bulgaria. No other nigras are in zone 6 in Bulgaria, just this one tree, and I have a seedling growing from that tree.
I still did not answer your question, as one may fruit better than the other etc. But having ANY nigra tree will be a plus.

1 Like

thank you for answering my question. i have watched some youtube and research to figure out what is the differences between them. i have had black beauty and dwarf persian. i prefer a more sweet taste alba like illinois in comparison to nigra. im growing a noire de spain to see if it was a little better in taste. ill know when it fruits this summer if i like it or not.

2 Likes

Consult Arrow’s theorem.

1 Like