Dwarf Everbearing mulberry - M. nigra?

@Richard
What is your point.?

They are good, I do grow them. I’m more interested in processing into syrup than fresh eating. I do eat a lot fresh, although production will be tremendous with time. Fruit with more acid works better for processing. Having said that Alba is not bad processed. I myself like Oscar the best so far. I have not tasted EIB. I did get some scion last year, and it took, but it was damaged in a storm and the scion broke off. It was hit by a big branch. Doesn’t matter. I’m trying to decide between Wellington, Oscar, and others. I would like a few years before I decide.

1 Like

Hi good to know. I would love to make my own mulberry jam. The alba there isnt much juice its just great fresh tasting right off the tree, they usually dont keep their shape well enough to make it to my house. I like marionberry jam the best. im try to grow marionberry i have to research it first. I heard oscar is highly liked. THe wellington taste exactly like illinois everbearing. The only difference was the wellington was tiny more cold tolerance than EIB. For me it doesnt really matter for the zone 8b im safe. But for some others that difference is worth getting the wellington compared to EIB. I will keep both of them since I want to see if we ever havea bad year if wellington does better in the winter. Please keep us updated with your results year to year. I would love to compare notes. I love mulberries.

I grow Marion and agree, it is fantastic. New Berry is really good too. I also like the boysenberry related wyeberry. Tayberry almost tastes like strawberries. It tastes nothing like those mentioned. It is the lowest acid bramble I ever had. Some think it is bland. But here in 6a it is very tasty. It doesn’t need acid.

Thanks for the info on Wellington, that convinces me just to skip EIB for now.
Last year I planted a Russian alba rootstock. I’m going to put Oscar and the nigra on it. Right now I’m protecting the nigra in my garage. I want to take scion although the guy in Bulgaria who is a member here, said he has failed at grafting this particular nigra. It appears this nigra is hard to graft. I may have to do an air layer to propagate.
I’m also testing Kokusa and Silk Hope. Oh Geraldi dwarf too. That is about all the alba’s that will grow here. Their are a couple other very hardy ones but they are not well known. Most other alba’s are not hardy enough for here. Although I’m also going to try Pakistan ever case It works as the fruit is gigantic! I rooted a couple last year. One is staying in a container, the other is going into the ground.

1 Like

Several years ago I ordered a Black Beauty from Burnt Ridge and it wasn’t a nigra. However after a few back and forths they said they had been sold the wrong plants and did send me a true nigra. I would order from them again.

3 Likes

“Fair” in the context of justice is an ill-defined word.

nurseries make mistakes all the time, especially with nigras. Probably safe to say that for the most part–not willfully go out of their way to mislead people. Humans are human, and mistakes are humanly

burntridge, as @k8tpayaso mentioned, finally admitted their mistake and graciously owned it.

4 Likes

Burnt Ridge made it right, good to hear. I really like the plants they sell. I love the Russian Mulberry rootstocks. I bought two 2 years ago, and another this year. Really nice for grafting and big enough to immediately graft to. I waited this year, but last I put them on right away and they all took.

2 Likes