Early Golden, H-118, and Meader persimmons are ripened in September in Z5

The three American persimmons ripened in September so far were Early Golden, Meader, and H-118. FYI, Honey Jar Jujube is starting to ripened also. If you have a short season then these variables may work for you.

Tony

I also have been eating lots of Yali Asian pears.

5 Likes

Tony, where in zone 5 you are? I thought Persimmon doesn’t tolerate cold winter…

Tony, when you say that persimmons are ripened, do you mean that they became non-astringent? If so do they become non-astringent while on a tree or do you need to keep them for some time?
Which one of the three varieties did you like the best and why?

Galina,
American persimmons are a lot cold hardier than the Asian ones…

1 Like

yes, already did some reading.Do I understand correctly that American persimmons are all astringent? And also, how big they grow? Are there a dwarf ones?

H-118 is huge compared to the others. please let us know which one is your favorite out the bunch.

Marie,

Some of the Meader persimmons soft ripened and fell to the ground. I picked some soft H-118 off the tree and let them wrinkled a bit more. I really like H-118 and Prok. Both are really big and no trace of Astringency when soft ripened.

Tony

Here are some of my Asian pears

Shenandoah pawpaws

Honey Jar Jujube

Li Jujube

5 Likes

Tony,

You are the man. The persimmons look awesome.

Do you prefer the taste of Early Golden or Meader?

Matt,.

Early Golden is very good. I would pick it over Meader for the larger size of the fruits.

Tony

Tony,
They are really cool fruits, all of them!
Asian pears are very impressive. I am not very big fan of pears and I prefer European pears to Asian because I grew up with them and secondly because Asian pears were so unimpressive from the store. I should probably change my position, because pears seem to grow really good here.
Your grafted persimmons are growing like crazy and they are taller then me now. This so much for just one season. I would ask you for H-118 scions next winter to graft on one of those trees.

2 Likes

Galinas,.

I am in Omaha, Nebraska. Right in the middle of the US.

Tony

My Early golden fruits are orange but haven’t softened yet, I can’t wait.

1 Like

Tony,
The pics of your fruits are the definition of bountiful.

My orchard is quite barren this year.

1 Like

Galina’s, all American persimmons are astringent. In the wild they grow 20-50 feet, but in cultivation they seem easy to keep at 10-15 feet. Many varieties selected have been noted to be smaller growing. Jerry Lehman and Cliff England have selected many varieties for smaller growth and greater production.

2 Likes

These huge Bartlett pears from Carla in Sacramento scions finally ripened and fell from the tree. They are tasty.

Tony

4 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5, do you grow all of this on a suburban lot? Fantastic looking trees and fruit. I may have to get H-118.

Nice work as usual Tony. Thanks for the preview of what my H-118 will look like when they actually fruit.
John S
PDX OR

Irby,

Yes, I lived on a golf course but outside the city limit. You can email me in early March.

Tony

Thanks Tony. It gives me confidence to see people like you producing so much in smaller spaces. I have a large yard, but not on a farm or anything, so it just gives me hope that I can make this happen.

1 Like

Tony how many different persimmons do you grow?