Early Season Apple Varieties

Looking to put in an early season apple. Earlier the better, but also looking to eat it straight from the tree as well. Can anyone list the best early varieties that are not all sour?

2 Likes

State Fair. U of Minn. 1979, very attractive, tasty, juicy, a little on the sharp side but sweet enough. Really good flavor. Texture is more open than I prefer, skin is tender, keeps a few weeks if carefully stored.

1 Like

Lowland Raspberry, July Sweet, Williams Favorite, Kinnairds Choice……….one of those might work for you.

1 Like

Williams’ Pride, Pitmaston Pineapple, Lamb Abbey Pearmain, and Strawberry Parfait are the early not-just-tart standouts from my orchard. Gravenstein is also excellent, but slightly later here and a bit tart until fully ripe (when the texture begins to suffer).

3 Likes

What about the jerusalem apples. Anna, Dorsett, and Ein? Aren’t they supposed to be early and sweet?

1 Like

Anyone tried summer rambo?

1 Like

I grow Pristine, Zestar, and State Fair.

1 Like

When does pristine and zestar ripen? Are they sweet?

2 Likes

Discovery is my favorite early apple. More sweet than tart with a strawberry aroma.

1 Like

Forgot about Pristine! That’s a good one here, too.

1 Like

@jerry Pitmaston Pineapple is not an early apple. It should ripen after Gravenstein.

2 Likes

Not in my climate (coastal Northern California). I’m down to my last couple of Pitmastons now (and they were very good this season), whereas my Gravs won’t be properly ripe for about another week. Your orchard may vary, of course.

1 Like

Indeed, our climates are very different. I’m in SE Europe and I’m already done with Gravenstein and Pitmaston is not ripe yet.

To OP: Red June (aka Carolina Red June) is worth to consider.

2 Likes

Carolina Red June?? (I understood that he wanted a SWEET apple.)

1 Like

The one I have is sweet-tart and definitely more sweet than tart. I’m pretty sure what I have is Red June:

The nearly black one is overripe. Many apples have some red flesh too.

2 Likes

My Carolina Red June is also a little more sweet than tart. Very small window for best taste.

2 Likes

(Guess I’ve never had one within that ‘window’). Always sour to my taste.

4 Likes

MonArk is the best early apple I’ve grown - ripe here near the KY/TN border in early to mid-July.
Good for fresh eating, cooking, drying… and unlike most early apples, will keep 6-8 wks in the fridge without going mealy.

5 Likes

There is summer rambo for sale up the street. Does anyone know anything about them? How early-sweet?

2 Likes

Seems the earlier the more sour. Think early august is best I can do for keeping and sweetness. In the easier to find category I was looking at Zestar, Pristine, Summer Rambo and maybe Lodi. Any experience with them?

2 Likes