Easy potted fruit?

I’m looking to grow two new fruit trees in pots. I currently grow a Chicago Hardy Fig in a pot, and its been fairly idiot proof. I just leave it in the garage all winter and the last two winters it has been fine.

Are there other fruits are are easy like that? I was specifically looking to grow banana and apricot in a pot. Anyone have any insights on those or other fruits that are easy to grow in a pot and can overwinter in a garage without much trouble?

2 Likes

Hi Izzy,
Potted bananas will not be easy or fruitful in your location. Perhaps others can provide good suggestions.

2 Likes

Kim, @Seattlefigs also grows pawpaws in pots but you might consult her on details
Dennis
Kent wa

I have pawpaws in ground :smiley:

Maybe I should open with that. Currently growing apple, peach, grape, pawpaw, medlar, american persimmon, hardy kiwi

Citrus like lemon and lime can be grown in pots but must be brought inside some ultra dwarf cherries can be grown in a pot but some would argue how easy it is to grow cherries, pears are a option but like apples you need two and some could question the pot. Figs are just such an idiot proof plant that they are hard to compare to. For whatever reason deer do not seem to target figs and neither do pests.

1 Like

Im looking for something that can stay in a garage. I thought citrus expects to be babied over winter. Can it just sit in the dark?

I grow most of my trees in pots like fig, citrus, jujube, avocado.

2 Likes

Id be curious about avocado and citrus. But my understanding is that neither goes dormant, so they can’t be overwintered in a garage.

1 Like

Citrus has to be brought inside.

They are evergreen for my area which is zone 10.

1 Like

How does growing avocados in pots work? I have always wanted to grow my own fruiting avocados in a pot but never could find an answer to if it can grow in a colder zone.

1 Like

from what I understand, you bring it inside during the winter, but I don’t want to deal with bringing outside plants inside my house.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to try Babaco, it’s a papaya cross that can handle a little cooler temperatures, I think it goes dormant when it cools down. Whether it can ripen fruit before winter though, I don’t know.

Papaya in zone 5? sign me up!

2 Likes

The Wikipedia article has a lot of someone’s personal experience growing in a cool climate, but they did use a greenhouse. But if you have enough summer heat, it may work.

Mulberry would be the other option for a garage I suppose

1 Like

Babaco fruit is a poor excuse for papaya fruit. Further, it flowers in the Fall and ripens in the Spring – not very well suited for your situation.

My 2 avocados are outside, I don’t move them around at all. But one is sort of in the shade. So far I got one small fruit.

1 Like

They can get huge, that’s why I have them in container.

1 Like

Not a tree, but blueberries are fairly easy…I just started in ground planting, but I’ve had plenty in containers for years and they give me a nice crop without much care. I overwinter mine mulched in by our house in zone 6. In some areas it’s the best way to grow them due to the need for acidic soil.

2 Likes