Edible Landscaping (eat-it.com)

My status has said “shipping” for a week. No tracking number yet.

I wouldn’t worry about the berries. They’re fast growers and you shouldn’t have been counting on a crop this year anyway…

With something missing… That one is inexcusable.

1 Like

I’m “one of those” :joy:

3 Likes

That’s weird, Clark. I’ve had Lang, Li and Sherwood in Topeka put in at customers for decades. I did notice they like the hottest, sunniest spot possible.

1 Like

@randyks

Same way with Lawrence and Kansas City. They even grow sweet cherries in Topeka and the other cities. Here there is no town just me and the wind. @TurkeyCreekTrees has identical weather to mine. He lives less than a mile away. In the city you all have buildings etc. In the winter making it warmer. Out here we basically had no winter last year but another year its -25F and kills the young trees to the ground before they can get tougher. I grew trifoliate oranges, figs, and pomegranate outside for a number of years. This year we get small bursts of rain all year causing mass fireblight, small fruit etc.We never got our big spring rains. Just little 1/10 inch rains constantly then dry and then cool again and the fireblight keeps going. His soil is hard like mine if you go out with a shovel in dry weather you cannot even get the tip in the ground. Its like a rock during dry times. When i was a kid his property was one i played on. There were few houses in those days. 2 or 3 houses in 5 miles back then. Deer were as thick as people are now when i grew up here.

3 Likes

I’ve ordered from Edible Landscaping a number of times.

This past spring I received an order including a couple figs, a couple pomegranates, a jujube and a pawpaw. The pawpaw was small. The Jujube was 5+ feet tall. The figs were cheap and the smallest sizes they offered. All have grown/established very well.

Last year I got a Gerardi mulberry from them (self-rooted) and it has grown very well. So much so that I am suspicious it is not the dwarfed variety its supposed to be (but I’m not certain yet).

A couple serviceberries I ordered this year looked rough, but a little TLC and they’ve done very well this summer.

My Che is from them, a decade + ago and it is still doing well. (surprisingly, if you read my concerns about it this spring)

My only criticism is they shipped later than I requested this spring (because of the cool weather), which left me trying to prepare and plant them in a very inopportune time (week before final exams)

3 Likes

I got hardy kiwi from them this year. the 4 plants are all still doing okay. Well packaged and they arrived pretty lush.

1 Like

I’ll be calling them tomorrow to see when try are shipping my order.

2 Likes

I got a “Girardi” from them last spring. It is definitely not Girardi. Extremely vigorous with long internodes. It was a little twig when I got it, and even then I could tell it didn’t look right. I will have to get real Girardi cuttings this winter and graft it.

5 Likes

Well… It’s already purchased so…I guess I can graft to it like you…

Wondering if you folks have them feedback on the gerardi?

I mean it doesn’t do them any good to be selling a mislabelled product

1 Like

I’m calling them tomorrow too. They missed one plant.

Uh-oh, I got a couple self-rooted purported Gerardis / Girardis from EL this spring. This is what they looked like:

Any opinion on whether they are genuine? I’ve ordered plenty of stuff from EL in the past and have not had a prior mislabeling issue.

Girardi internodes should be about 1 inch in length. Your tree looks similar to my not-Girardi.

3 Likes

I’ve also questioned the gerardi mulberries that I received from EL in the spring of 2021. Here’s my last post about it with some photos: Why Gerardi is a dwarf mulberry - #83 by alliumnate

I will say that the ‘gerardi’ fruit this year were larger in size, and the trees were very productive. I didn’t get any photos of the ripe fruit. But this photo gives an idea of the internode spacing and fruit density.

I haven’t seen a verified gerardi in-person. But the internode spacing on the previous season’s growth was typically 1 inch or less. Nodes are spaced much further on older growth though. And the overall growth rate seems much faster than what I’ve heard about gerardi.

Like kiwinut suggested, I made two grafts this spring using gerardi scionwood from fruitwood nursery. Hopefully, kiwinut is a better grafter than I am… neither of my grafts took! Lol.

Overall though, I’m happy with the orders I’ve made with Edible Landscaping over the years. I like the fact that they offer small 2 and 4 inch plants. That allows me to buy more! And a lot of the berries, figs, nankings, etc. grow fast enough that I don’t mind starting small. I also like that in addition to their bareroot offerings, they will also ship container plants throughout the growing season.

4 Likes

I called and they said they are not supposed to send blueberries to California, I got my refund. They think it’s confiscated. Then why did I get a Pink Lemonade.

I should also mention that I’ve been able to root stem cuttings from the EL ‘gerardi’ with a high rate of success (>80%). My understanding is that the true gerardi is very difficult to propagate from stem cuttings.

2 Likes

I worked there previously to gain sweat equity for purchasing plants and I enjoyed that a lot. I bought a Korean giant at the time. I thought it seemed really expensive for what I got, but I had no idea what one cost from anywhere. It’s still going strong about 8 years later.

1 Like

In the interest of science, I just ordered a new Gerardi from Whitman Farms. I’ll take pictures side-by-side and perhaps that will shed some light on the EL ‘Girardi’ question.

6 Likes

If yours ends up being true and all of ours are not, you may be getting a lot of hit-ups for scionwood some next spring!

:wink:

3 Likes

I emailed Edible Landscaping to inquire about the status of my order. I also gave them feedback on the question about Gerardi mulberry.

Let’s see if they respond. I’ll post here if they do.

2 Likes

I’ve been buying from Michael at Edible for at least 25 years. A true mom and pop operation that I love to support. They’re not in it for the money.

4 Likes