Edible Landscaping (eat-it.com)

Has anyone used this company out of VA?

Prices must be for seedlings as they are really cheap.

1 Like

I have been there twice and bought pawpaws in person and mail order from them. Wasn’t that impressed with the place. Kind of run down and disorganized 10 years ago. Plants they had just got in did ok for me. Root bound ones did not transplant well and I lost a few. Haven’t bought since 2019 so can’t say the state of their current operation.

4 Likes

That’s super weird because there is already a different website for Edible Landscaping Nursery in Afton, VA.
https://ediblelandscapingnursery.com/

The website https://eat-it.com/ appears to possibly be the same nursery, but their old website is still active with a larger selection. Are they trying to update their website game or is it a counterfeit site?

I’ve purchased previously via the original website. The low prices are because the offer many of the plants in very small starter sizes which will need to be grown on for a while before planting out. What I have gotten from them was clonal, not seedlings.

Edit: It’s their new website which is still being worked on as stated in a post below.

3 Likes

I’ll call them tomorrow and post when I get the shinny on what’s going on.

2 Likes

Here you go.

They are working on the website…

" We are working on a new web site! Eat-It.com will take you there for now] We are currently adding inventory to the site. Some items can be ordered there now. More are being added daily. Please be patient with us."

5 Likes

I purchased blueberries from the old Edible Landscaping linked above by @JohannsGarden Johannsgarden ~ 4-5 years ago. The are growing fine in half barrels now. I did not find them to be terribly undersized when I received them.

3 Likes

I’ve had mixed long term success with the trees I picked up there, but it’s likely the issues I’ve had, had nothing to do with their stewardship. I’d definitely recommend them, especially a trip to the nursery. Very cool setup.

2 Likes

They have a Girardi mulberry for cheap ($23 + whatever shipping). As long as it arrives alive I don’t care how small it is.

May as well grow up in my yard than somewhere else and have to pay for it to get bigger.

1 Like

@Shibumi

Their prices are reasonable. Have purchased from them before but the items could not handle the climate. The items showed up in good shape. Li Jujube died back to the ground. The rootstock is alive but it was not hardy enough for my climate. The rootstock is slowly adapting doing better every year.

1 Like

Their Asian persimmons have done pretty well for me. All have fruited in 2-3 years.

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

Think their weather is fairly similar to yours.

2 Likes

I bought a ‘Pakistan’ mulberry (Mike McConkey and A.J. Bullard made the original USDA-approved importation of that cultivar), weeping mulberry, and ‘Jennybelle’ serviceberry (A.obovata) from ELN in n Afton VA, back around 1996.
I don’t recall anything especially noteworthy - good or bad - about the plants
Only the serviceberry is still alive here, but the two mulberries did ok…were just removed for one reason or another, along the way…

2 Likes

I was there last week. They have stuff in stock that is listed as out of stock on the website. It’s not updated often. I recommend you call or visit in person. They did say they are working on getting everything transferred to the new site. Nice people, and good trees. It’s like anything, some look better than others

2 Likes

@Shibumi

Michael from edible landscaping

They are very nice people, laid back hippy types. They are better than Raintree or One Green World for quality based on four or five orders I have made there. I agree it’s always good to call to get the full scoop.

8 Likes

I actually like that they sell a lot of smaller plants and trees for a lesser price. It’s not always the best to buy, ship, and plant the biggest tree you can afford.

There is something to be said for letting the young plant get it’s own legs in it’s permanent home…

It just takes the patience to not be greedy at getting fruit now…

4 Likes

Thanks @Shibumi, I just put in an order just for try. I got Shin Li and some berries.

2 Likes

My Gil ya persimmon from them a couple of years back is fruiting this year.

3 Likes

Just placed an order for Girardi Dwarf mulberry, Ichi Ki Kei Jiro persimmon and a few issai kiwi.

Middle of summer shipping. Will let you know how it turns out. And yes the shipping was 32.8% the cost of the trees / vines.

I just received my order, the pear tree is decent size but the raspberry plants are too small, they also didn’t send me Sharpblue blueberry. would I order from them again, most likely not. I don’t like tiny plants, it will take forever to get anything out of them.

2 Likes