Edible Viburnums

Thank you for sharing. I called and placed an order today which included that yellow berry type.

I wanted about 12 things. He no longer has about half unfortunately. So most will go on my wishlist to search for later now.

2 Likes

May I ask what you ordered?

1 Like

Update…caught Gary by phone and placed another order. Be a good business for somebody to buy in Nebraska…as he’s just planning to sell out and not root/propagate anymore of anything.
300 or more different varieties of ‘mother plants’ in the ground that he’s been snipping cuttings and rooting them for years.

2 Likes

What did you order?

1 Like

Too late…everything I ordered, I took all he had of the cultivar, zeroing out that category for him on his inventory sheet.

1 Like

I got a couple selections of Viburnum trilobum (the yellow fruited form as well as a large fruited selection called ‘Andrews’), V. nudum ‘Pink Beauty’ and an ornamental selection called V. ×bodnantense ‘Charles Lamont’ which is grown for its highly fragrant winter flowers.

2 Likes

I ordered.

2 of the yellow tribolum.
Viburnum nudum ‘Pink Beauty’
Viburnum nudum ‘Longwood’
Viburnum opulus ‘Aureum’
Viburnum opulus ‘Xanthocarpum’
Viburnum trilobum ‘Spring Green Compact’

Here are a few he told me he is now out or his plant is dead, when I tried or order.

Viburnum cassinoides ‘Deep Pink’
Viburnum cassinoides ‘Hillier Form’
Viburnum x jackii
Viburnum lentago ‘Deep Green’
Viburnum nudum ‘Angustifolium’
Viburnum nudum ‘Count Pulaski’
Viburnum nudum ‘Earthshade’
Viburnum nudum ‘Moonshine’
Viburnum sargentii ‘Flavum’
Viburnum setigerum ‘Aurantiacum’
Viburnum trilobum ‘Hahs’

I might call back and ask about these ones…
Viburnum kansuense
Viburnum obovatum ‘Lord Byron’
Viburnum opulus ‘Bullatum’
Viburnum opulus ‘Leonards Dwarf’
Viburnum opulus ‘Losely’s Compact’
Viburnum opulus ‘Notcutt’
Viburnum orientale
Viburnum x Prairie Classic (he has some)
Viburnum x Prairie Sunset (he has some)
Viburnum prunifolium ‘Forest Rouge’
Viburnum rufidulum ‘Royal Guard’

3 Likes

I wanted that one too. Especially since no one else seems to carry it anymore.

2 Likes

Having done business previously, I’ve never caught him having ‘Hahs’ in inventory.
(Although he has one or more ‘mother plants’ he could take cutting from…if you have 300 cultivars, you’re not taking cuttings of all of them every year and making flats of them in a greenhouse…not if you’re 2 old people running a business by yourself.)

2 Likes

He told me he lost his mother plant for Hahs. I think he said “pot”. Not sure if it was the polar vortex he experienced or something else. So I think he said he kept his mother potted and lost it.

If I’m wrong, I’d buy cuttings if it’s all he has.

3 Likes

I’d buy cuttings of ‘Hahs’ too if available. It sounds like a variety we shouldn’t let go out of circulation. In my part of the country I only see “highbush cranberry” available in nurseries as the straight species and not even usually sure if it’s the European or American type. I’d love to make more improved selections available locally. It looks like there may be a nursery or two which still carries ‘Hahs’, but only ones back east which do not ship at all.

2 Likes

I’m agreeing…maybe he’d agree to sell cuttings…if he still has the mother.

2 Likes

Viburnum Opulus is very similar to Viburnum Trilobum. The European may have prettier blooms, and some of them being sterile have no seed / fruit, though.

1 Like

I’ve consistently encountered claims that V. trilobum is better tasting than V. opulus (of course neither are for fresh eating). For that reason I’ve stayed away from V. opulus. Anyone here agree/disagree?

2 Likes

Ive found highbush cranberry of some kind growing a couple of places nearby. They tasted terrible fresh so I assumed they were opulus. Ive heard it said too that opulus is more of a pioneer species or somesuch. These were growing in roadside ditch and field edge respectively so if true, that would be another mark for it being opulus. Ive had probably twice as many “trilobum” various places including a couple that I bought from nurseries hoping for something more tasty that what Id found earlier. They all tasted very comparable to my palette. I think theyre both the same for all intents and purposes, and doubt that any variation in flavor falls so neatly by “species”.

2 Likes

Yes, the “Hahs”, “Phillips”, etc…are ‘selected’ cultivars from hundreds or thousands of native plants. Don’t think there’s been intentional ‘breeding’ as such for fruit.
The v. Opulus has had some breeding as a landscape plant value…but not for fruits.

ps Many of the v. opulus are sterile…no fruit…just blossoms. So, for that reason, I am inclined to think your ditchline plants are v. trilobum.

I have picked and ate the fruit…but you do pucker up a bit…lol.

1 Like

I don’t know if what I’ve tried was from V. opulus or V. trilobum, but it tasted like stomach acid (vomit). :slight_smile: I definitely want to see what kind of transformation cooking brings.

1 Like

They do taste like some kind of medicine, like a cough syrup type of off flavor. If bred for taste I could see trilobum being more like cranberries like its common name.

2 Likes

yes, there are some nice flavors mixed in there with that bile undercurrent. As I said above, the flavor of dried ones Ive eaten is encouraging. I have a hard time believing that cooking would eliminate the (dis)taste I cant help noticing, though plenty of people seem to enjoy them that way so I shouldn’t doubt perhaps. One of these days Ill have to try a batch, though red currants give me all of the cranberry-esque flavor I could want for the most part.

1 Like

Viburnum opulus or Kalina belongs to the “acquired taste” category (I haven’t tasted other species). I’ve learned to like them a lot. They are bred in Ukraine and Russia for large and less bitter and sweet fruit. It is worth to grow Anya, Ulyana, Tsukrova, Vigorovskaya - these are newer selections. Heating and boiling is not recommended, it will negatively affect the taste. Fruits store extremely well in a cool place without any spoilage just covered with sugar. Sterile viburnums form no fruits and were bred for ornamental purposes only.

3 Likes