Egg sack?

Found this on my mother’s black currant bush. Any ideas what it is and who it belongs to?

1 Like

Bagworm

4 Likes

Yes… bagworm…often find those on Arborvitae, juniper, spruce (evergreen stuff).

Looks out of place there… to me. I have never seen them on anything but evergreen shrubbery.

2 Likes

I remember when I was thinking about growing a pecan tree watching a video and they mentions budworms can get pretty bad on pecans.

2 Likes

Bagworm

Need To Know

• Bagworms are caterpillars that live their entire lives in a tough protective “bag” made of silk.
  • It moves along, carrying it’s bag, feeding on foliage until the end of summer.
  • The bagworm commonly attacks arborvitae, red cedar, juniper and spruce trees, but can eat the foliage of up to 128 different trees causing unsightly damage that may weaken a tree and possibly causing death.
  • Most commercial and home landscape insecticides are effective against small bagworms.

Source… Bagworm | Horticulture and Home Pest News

I would just try pulling that one off the currant bush and keep an eye out for them. It may not have a worm in it now, cut it open and check.

I have sprayed evergreen landscaping bushes with malathion in the past to wipe them out, it worked well.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll plan to remove it first thing tomorrow.

When I was a child my father would lowball all of the Christmas tree guys right at the end of the season for cheap pine trees. We must have planted a hundred or so. I had the task of removing bag worms when they showed up. If not kept under control their population can explode! We would pick them off the tree and then burn them.

1 Like