Electric vs Gas Log Splitters

Well, I don’t know much about either, but I know that I need something after trying to split up some 14 inches with a sledgehammer. Went to my nephew last weekend to beg, borrow or steal his. Unfortunately, his had two flat tires, hydraulic hoses lying everywhere, lost bolt and a motor that looked like it would not crank up. He said it was quite loud when it works. I think he has it fixed now.

I feel like Sergeant Schultz in that I know nothing.

Is electric a viable option in a log splitter?

1 Like

Both can do a lot of firewood splitting.

But, should the power grid go down for any length of time, neither is going to operate.

So, old fashioned muscle-operated tools are a needful backup.

2 Likes

One of my neighbors has one of these…does the job pretty well.

I like using my Fiskars splitting axe… its extra exercise while i am still able.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-67090.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12129614380&campaignid=12129614380&utm_content=120520884881&adsetid=120520884881&product=67090&store=403&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0vWnBhC6ARIsAJpJM6eiq-ch5ToGiyK9Qe59v1RfFbZB3Xa7M86j0bcdwNGvb9nvuavxfncaAj_KEALw_wcB

5 Likes

I have used both. The lil electric ones work great on smaller stuff. If you are splitting stuff around 14” it should power through it fine. They seem to bog down on stuff bigger than 24”.

I second the Fiskars splitting axe. It’s better than heavier weighted splitting mauls.

I have a gas powered towable cub cadet I love. It has one pin to flip up vertical for big stuff you cannot lift onto a horizontal splitter. If you get a gas one get one that is both vertical and horizontal splitting.

2 Likes

I have had an electric log splitter for about 2 years. I’ve split a lot of wood with it. I think the general design with these are all very similar (the electric models). Slow but it works. I’ve tripped the breaker a few times. If i was splitting lots of wood, i’d get a big gas one (my brother owns one). I only burn a couple cords a winter if that.

2 Likes

The specification on the Harbor Freight hand operated one says 6 1/2 inch diameter so it might not work with large logs.

2 Likes

I often have rounds too large to easily transport, just far enough away that an extension cord isn’t practical. So a 30-ton gas-powered was my choice at least. YMMV.

3 Likes

The specifications are probably in Chinese… however here is some pics from the reviews… and there is alot of pics.

From the reviews… it may only work with the bigger logs if you have child labor.

And to give the chef’s kiss

Fake news?

6 Likes

Thanks all for the info!

This one caught my attention. The ad bills itself as a first in the industry. Are battery powered log splitters that new? A $699.00 battery? I thought $250.00 battery for the chainsaw was expensive.

I need to consider the manual log splitters too.

NorthStar 24-Ton Horizontal/Vertical Battery-Powered Log Splitter with Battery and Charger, 16in. Dia. x 25in.L Max. Log Size | Northern Tool

1 Like

some of the local hardware stores around here rent wood splitters for a decent rate. might be a good idea if you have big wood and dont want to buy a splitter. for smaller wood that hydraulic one Kris shows looks like a good cheap system. most of the firewood here is too big for something like that. also the firewood found here isnt as knot free as what you guys have down there. need a powerful one to split stuff up here.

4 Likes

that would be a good one. alot of guys have welded another wedge on top of the one already there to help split occasional bigger wood.

1 Like

I use a fiskars splitting axe. I have been doing it a long time and I can generally finish a job much faster then someone with a log splitter. One of my secrets is that I just leave the tough customers alone. Split the easy ones and send the tough ones to the fire pit outside.
Another secret is to split logs on the ground. More time consuming and hurts your back to use a splitting log. harder on the back too.

4 Likes

Personally I’m jealous of the bike in the picture but I think my legs are little too long for it

2 Likes

I had not thought of that. I’ll consider it. Thanks!

I’m terrible at this kind of stuff though. Yesterday I got the battery saw wedged in a log. I said to myself, no problem I’ll just use the gas-powered saw to free it. Well, I got the gas one wedged in the same log too. Ended up having to use 4-wheel drive pickup to free them. Luckily no damage.

4 Likes

Boom!

I split mine like this. Its soo much easier. In every movie and tv show they split wood the hard way… which i think is why everyone does it that way.

3 Likes

less dangerous as well.

2 Likes

If you could split 8 cords of mixed hardwood by hand quicker than I could with a gas splitter I’d be extremely impressed.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, are you talking face cords or full cords?

1 Like

full cords

2 Likes

Looks like a good one. Which big box store and generally how much $$$$?

1 Like