Espalier Guide?

Does anyone know of a good how-to guide for someone who hasn’t tried espaliering before? I have been searching on the internet, and all the guides/articles I’m finding are about why you would want to, how it looks when it is mature, the different styles of espalier, etc. I’m not finding anything with good instructions on how to get one started and do the training of it through succeeding years

If it matters, the tree I’m trying to espalier is an apple and I want a candelabra style.

1 Like

I have this book.

RHS Pruning & Training by Joyce, David: Good Hardback | WorldofBooks-US_Shopp_Trade--used-_-naa&gclid=CjwKCAjw5cL2BRASEiwAENqAPomPpifjrT9xFlA5REnw_4jDCbtKPsiSzIZZMUZ1eb2Ze90yI8f-ABoCJyoQAvD_BwE

There’s some good information in there on espalier training although I’ve never done it.

2 Likes

How many pages are dedicated to the topic?

5 or so on apples specifically. That’s if you include cordon training and stepover. It goes over different types of pruning for different fruit.

Not exactly a guide but I tried to compile some of the forums best posts.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I was hoping here came some very nice and detail literature. But for espalier fruit trees it seems there is so little knowledge.

Here are 2 very good books special for espalier fruit trees. Hope u can translate the Dutch.

The first book is special for beginners.
The second book I really like, there are a lot of examples of types of espalier forms. Also technique how to train and grow the trees in the shape u want.

2 Likes

I wish I could translate the Dutch. They look like very good books.