Espalier Questions

I want to do an espalier on a South-facing wall. I have never done one before, so before starting I would like to fact-check some of the advice I have seen online.

One of the articles said apple is the best tree to start with if you’re a beginner because it is the most pliable. Also that you will get much heavier fruiting with a spur variety, and that it is best to use a dwarfing rootstock (they specifically recommended M27).

Is all of this true? If so, I can get Arkansas Black Spur or Bisbee Spur Red Delicious locally, since I live about 20 miles from Bay Laurel Nursery. But it would be on M111 rootstock. Would this make a significant difference? If so, any suggestions on other sources to purchase the tree from?

Thanks, as always, for sharing your expertise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there! I love to talk espalier! Mine are in their 3rd year and look good. No fruit yet though. I used M111 root stock because I’m in the hot South and it was recommended for that. I was told the semi dwarf roots are more hardy for heat and drought. The only thing I’ve noticed with the larger rootstock is that multiple prunes are needed in a season. Mine outgrow their shape frequently.
It’s really good you’re making sure they are spurs in advance though. I went with the varieties recommended for my climate from an apple expert who admitted he didn’t know much about espalier. I’m not positive they are spurring varieties which has led to some interesting pruning choices.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s good to know the M111 is working out for you.

My enthusiasm got the better of me and I just finished ordering the Arkansas Black Spur from Bay Laurel. So for better or worse, that is what it will be…

It’s so hard to not go overboard. Arkansas Black is a delicious apple! It’s one that survives here in the South and is well loved.
The other option is grafting other varieties to some of the espalier branches too!

2 Likes

Lol, I don’t think I want to do any additional grafting on this one. I already have an apple Franken-tree that is barely 3 feet tall and already has 5 varieties grafted to it. If I can just get the Arkansas Black to be a pretty espalier that covers up my ugly blank wall and bears a few apples, that will be good enough.

Do you have pictures of your espaliers?

My thoughts are…
M27 could be kind of small…
M111 to much vigor for many varieties as espalier.
M 9 size works well.
However spur type ark black . Is a excellent choice.
Even on m111 should be manageable as espalier .
I have spur ark black here on m111, not espalier , but very well behaved trees, don’t require much pruning.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried Arkansas black but have heard it is tasty. If you already have other apple trees I wouldn’t be too worried about trying another espalier type, I started with Asian pears and they have been forgiving enough for a beginner

1 Like

It’s hard to see them with all the bushes and lawn in the back, but here they are!

5 Likes

Those look great!

I do have other apples, but not Arkansas Black yet, and it is one of the ones I planned on having eventually anyway. It is a tasty apple.

Thank you!! They have been my labor of love. I’m out there picking off bugs and pinching off shoots on a regular basis :slight_smile:

These are mine.
First one is a pear espalier. I’m chip budding to the trunk to get the arms where I want them. Not going too well. But I’m not in any rush so I’ll kee at it.

This one is a plum/pluot/apricot espalier. So far I got 7arms growing horizontally as they should and one arm growing vertically. That one is an attempt at green grafting. I couldn’t bend it to horizontal without risking the graft breaking. I’ll figure something out for it come spring.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes