that had nothing to do with sulfites those yeast, and my wild yeast story
just why I use wild now is very little wild yeast was used (see I boiled the pumpkin must of been residue on a bucket, but like I said how can that of been when I poured hot pulp into buckets must of been just some on the air space of the buckets so the story sounds less believable , and in 3 days at a low 60 to 65 degree temp (65 because cooking in the kitchen in the morning and night)
(these yeast needed to be boiled because over flowing all 4 buckets by accident with wild yeast,
and no acid in pumpkin so didn’t want bacteria blooming. )…
(Another thing I forgot do not fill buckets to the very top the C02 will expand the fruit, and over flow the wine
Leave a gallon gap for room for fruit to expand, and not overflow, you speak of cider , but just thought I’d add ,
My banana wine I left sit on the (lees) sediment too long, and it tasted like rubber
autolysis (spelling correct now) which is the break down of old yeast after leaving wine age on the sediment(lees)
(not sir lees though = = French for where = one stirs the lees (or fine sediment , and ages on the lees)
I also am not a big fan of campdon tablets (sulfite tabs) more expensive
just measure (I forgot isn’t it like 1 /16 of a tea spoon per gallon for fruit( or pinch) stuff lasts forever )
I do not mind for cleaning, but to each his own.
I think learning of the problems can help if your ever in a situation not to rely on people online
(I only had a few wines out of many go bad - banana (sediment), apple, (cider)and maybe one or two more)
copied from Jack Kellers wine making problems
Musty or Moldy Taste : This is caused by wine standing too long on the lees without racking. It can also be caused by using baker’s yeast instead of wine yeast. Add one crushed Campden tablet and 1/2 ounce of activated charcoal to each gallon of wine and stir with a sterile rod. Allow to settle 4-6 hours and stir again. Repeat the stirring procedure 4-6 times and then let sit undisturbed 24 hours. Rack through a double layer of sterilized muslin to catch minute charcoal particles.
Flowers of Wine : Small flecks or blooms of white powder or film may appear on the surface of the wine. If left unchecked, they grow to cover the entire surface and can grow quite thick. They are caused by spoilage yeasts and/or mycoderma bacteria, and if not caught at first appearance will certainly spoil the wine. If caused by yeast, they consume alcohol and give off carbon dioxide gas. They eventually turn the wine into colored water. The wine must be filtered at once to remove the flecks of bloom and then treated with one crushed Campden tablet per gallon of wine. The saved wine will have suffered some loss of alcohol and may need to be fortified with added alcohol (brandy works well) or consumed quickly. If caused by the mycoderma bacteria, treat the same as for a yeast infection. The Campden will probably check it, but the taste may have been ruined. Taste the wine and then decide if you want to keep it. Bacterial infections usually spoil the wine permanently, but early treatment may save it.
Prevent the introduction of spoilage yeasts and mycoderma the same way you prevent the introduction of vinegar yeasts – by introducing early an aseptic level of sulfites.
Flowers of wine are, of course, expected when using flor sherry yeast. In such a circumstance, there is no way to know if the flowers are from the flor sherry yeast or a harmful infection. Pre-treating the must with Campden, however, should eliminate a harmful infection.
Oiliness or Ropiness : The wine develops an oily look with rope- like treads or strings appearing within it. It pours slowly and thickly with a consistency similar to egg whites, but neither its smell nor taste are effected. The culprit is a lactic acid bacterium and is only fatal to the wine if left untreated. Pour the wine into an open container with greater volume than required. Use an egg whip to beat the wine into a frothiness. Add two crushed Campden tablets per gallon of wine and stir these in with the egg whip. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit the airlock. After two days, run the wine through a wine filter and return it to another sterile secondary. Again, this problem, like most, can be prevented by pre- treating the must with Campden and sterilizing your equipment scrupulously.