Eureka Lemon Tree Help

Good morning everyone, first time poster. I have recently begun attempting to learn gardening however with no success and YouTube being my only teacher
I am worried about my eureka lemon tree, it was planted in 2021 and purchased from a local nursery. I have been trying my best to trim it when necessary by watching YouTube videos along with a few other fruit trees. My concern is it does not look like a typical tree when I google two year old eureka trees. Can someone please let me know if this is normal? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

@HelplessGardener

I’m sure some citrus growers will chime in here.

To my knowledge young citrus isn’t pruned like stone and pome fruits. In fact I’m not sure you prune a young lemon tree at all for a few years.

Others will chime in.

1 Like

I have a large tree and I rarely prune mine, I only cut off the top growth, why, I have a small garden, no single tree should take over my garden.

1 Like

Thank you! If I don’t have to trim the tree that is great news. I was worried that the trunk looks so short! But if you guys think it’s normal that is such a relief!

Thank you! This is the first time I’ve tried gardening and there is soo much to learn!

It’s sure to be confusing when you see so so many pruning videos out there, but you’ll notice they aren’t for citrus.

Citrus normally grows in a big ball… Meaning it’s often as wide or wider than it is tall. I think most growers, as mentioned in a post above, simply prune for general size, mostly height, to make picking manageable.

If the citrus tree is not producing that’s the only time you have to prune to open the tree up. My sister has a tree like that, I finally got fed up and hacked it. The following year she had so many fruit.

1 Like

Welcome to GrowingFruit!

If those lowst limbs are below th graft thwy need to come off.