European plum types

Okay,thanks Stan.I see where the mix up came from and should have entered more information,as to the source.
It came from this page,MajorPlums and from checking at the top,I thought the photos correlated with the description,by being at the bottom of each.With Peters just below Pearl,it looks like there is no photo for Pearl.bb

1 Like

Yep, the picture is near the name of the plum, not at the bottom of the article. The name of the plum is in the link name:
Peters: https://www.chathamapples.com/PlumsNY/images/Peters.jpg
Pearl: https://www.chathamapples.com/PlumsNY/images/Pearl.jpg
However, the picture of Pearl is missing (error 404). I have the pictures in an electronic copy of the book, so I copied from there.

2 Likes

Reading Burbankā€™s description, mine sounded like Pearl plum. Tomorrow, I will get a pic the leaves.

My pearl set fruit singly, not in a cluster.

1 Like

Same with mine.bb

2 Likes

The green bavays when going a bit over ripe turn yellow-orange, mine did.

I have Bavay. This Pearl is about the same size as Bavay but Bavayā€™s color is not bright orange like this one.

Here are the leaves.

1st pic, front and back of Pearl leaves with the last overripe fruit.
The small leaf on the right was a mirabelleā€™s leaf.

These are leaves and fruit. From left to right:
mirabelle, Parfume de Septembre, Pearl and Coeā€™s Golden Drop (early drop so it has not turned gold).

7 Likes

I am interested in adding another mirabelle plum tree for fresh eating (not cooking). I have Parfume de September and de Nancy.

Iā€™d like to ask those of you who grow Reine de Mirabelle and Geneva Mirabelle.
Do you like them?
What are pros and cons?
When those varieties tipen for you?

@scottfsmith, @ztom, @BobVance, @mrsg47, et al.

1 Like

Nancy is the best for fresh eating. There are German mirabelles that I have tasted and are very good, but will have to get the names for you. I have never seen a Geneva mirabelle here.

I think youā€™ve seen my comments on Geneva Mirabelle. They get quite sweet, are free stone, flavor isnā€™t very complex. Mine donā€™t crack. They ripened mid to late August here. Maybe a week or so later than the Green Gage they are grafted to.

1 Like

I assume Geneva is an American selection from Geneva, New York.

1 Like

These are my Stanley plums. They are okay, not like the Methley plums we had earlier in the summer.

Iā€™m going to dry them and make prunes.

6 Likes

I have that feeling!

They make wonderful prunes

1 Like

Iā€™d started drying my Brooks plums now for prunes, but Iā€™m going to wait til they ripen further off the tree - the flavor improves intensely.

Of course it would be nice to let them ripen ON the tree, but ā€¦ squirrels

2 Likes

The prunes. Kids donā€™t like them because of the texture but my wife and I find them delicious.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s how I do mine- halving them

2 Likes

Here is a question for those of you in the North. What plums do well for you? I have black ice, Waneta, superior, pipestone, La Crescent, Alderman, Toka, Mt. Royal, and a Kahinta graft. Yield has been very sparse on all, with Waneta being the most successful. I also planted some wild plums to see if they would help with pollination, but they havenā€™t blossomed yet. I get a few plums for fresh eating, but not enough to preserve. Most of my trees are 6 to 12 years old. They are in rather sandy, dry soil, so that is probably a factor. My grafting attempts havenā€™t been very successful, either. Any recommendations for Minneapolis area?

One of the best Euro plums I have had. It is supposed to be Valor from ACN ( via @BobVance).

@alan insisted it is not Valor. Whatever it is, it is an excellent plum with sweet, plumy taste. I like with soft texture but my hubby prefers when it is firmer.

Brix is between 22-28 even when we had more rain these past several weeks.

It has produced excellent plums for me 3 years in a row.

I should have clarified. The 2nd pic were two varieties of plums.
The top row, round plums were Valor. Very sweet.
The bottom row oval plum were Castleton. Not as sweet.

12 Likes

Its a beautiful plum!

1 Like