European plum types

The German mirabele is probably Bellamira. I have it. The tree is loaded with fruit each year. Very, very nice plums I would say. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Picked some Reine de Mirabelles today. 23 brix. They fell off the tree when shook. Pretty much tastes like a gage. Maybe just the tiniest bit below green gage in flavor, but very close and they seem to bloom late. Bigger than other Mirabelles, a little smaller than other gages.

12 Likes

Look like a miniature gage and pretty.

Is Reine de Mirabelle free stone like other mirabelles, and is it good quality when firmer than that? Maybe its just the picture, but that looks a little mushy to me.

I would say nearly free stone. Not quite as much as other Mirabelles. Comparison might not be accurate, though, since I don’t eat the RdM in one bite like other Mirabelles. The ones I have are not mushy but also not firm. The skin snaps when bitten into and they are a little bit juicy. I ate some a week or so ago that were firmer. They were good enough, but I still thought they weren’t quite ripe.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. That does sound like between a mirabelle and a gage. I have Mirabelle de Metz and Geneva Mirabelle. I like to eat them when they are firmer than I like the gages.

With mirabelles, I cut or bite into them, pry the two halves open like a clam shell and extract the pit while I make sure nothing bad happened inside :slight_smile: I don’t spray.

With gages I cut them in half and remove the pit. If they are fully ripe it can be a pain to separate the pit from the half it clings to.

2 Likes

Thats a great looking plum. I would grow it!

2 Likes

My first year of having Autumn Sweet plum. It just ripened now, early Oct in my zone 6a. It was very sweet with brix in mid 20 (can’t remember the exact number). What surprising was the texture was firm, almost crunchy while tasting sweet.

Most of my Euro plums that are very sweet have soft texture (prune plums and gage plums, etc). Autumn Sweet does not soften like that. Such texture was unexpected and makes it interesting. I like it a lot.

Coe’s this year has taken forever to ripen. Many are still not fully ripe yet. Those that softened were sweet and nice as usual.

11 Likes

My first year’s Vision. Very impressive. Sweet and large. It is late. I just picked mine yesterday.

7 Likes

@mamuang How does Vision compare to Empress and Fake Valor?

Ahmad,
I only ate two Empress, not much of a sample. However, from what I remember, it was good and meaty.

However, @BobVance’s Valor is excellent, sweet and aromatic.
Vision is also excellent. Its aroma is not as pronounced as Valor. However, it makes up in size.

In the Vision pic above, the cut up one had brix at 25. Then, we ate the one on the right. It had brix at 28!! Excellent.

I say, I like Valor and Vision equally. They bumped Coe’s Golden Drop down. Coe’s has not ripened consistently which frustrates me.

Here are Vision plums surrounding a large egg. As you can see the plums are large. I did not thin any. Most are large to very large.

7 Likes

Quit calling the Tippy plum Valor, you are confusing me. Valor is about the same size as Empress.

@alan
How’s your Vision plum? I think I’ve hard of it from you,

Do you like it?

Where did you source this? I can’t find it anywhere

What is “this?” What variety you are asking about?

Vision

Adam County Nursery in PA has it.

I posted this “Pearl” plum upthread. It is not inclusive what variety this is.

It is a Euro plum that is small plum. Today, the first two dropped. I looked at it again and wonder if it is a Reine des Mirabelle.

Per Arboreum, Reine des Mirabelles is a hybrid of a gage and a mirabelle. My plum looks like a mirabelle including the red freckles. It is much larger than a typical mirabelle.

What do you think? @ztom , @scottfsmith , @mrsg47 , @Bradybb

5 Likes

Not quite half the number of Ersinger picked. Its second year producing. Again, 22 Brix, floral overtone & delightful fresh. Am wondering if it would be wise to strip the tree next year to promote growth. We’ll never have too many of this plum.

5 Likes

I would call it a Reine des Mirabelle. This is my list of available mirabelles; as you can see they do not include the Geneva or Reine.

2 Likes