Evaluating Autumn Sweet Euro plum

I was intrigued originally by descriptions of Autumn Sweet as a new extra sweet E. plum variety, although this species tends to get exceptionally high brix from older varieties such as Castleton, Empress and Valor- up to 24% brix. It is not proving to be an easy variety and may be particularly vulnerable to cracking on wet seasons and is an upright grower- slow to bare.

In flavor and texture it is exceptional, though, because it shares some of the pluot ability to get high sugar while still quite firm. I’m not sure it’s sweetness is exceptional as a soft ripe plum but it is a treat to eat it crisp. Enough tartness to add zip and the texture is unique in an edible (or should I say sweet?) E. plum.

3 Likes

I have a graft labeled Autumn Sweet.

The fruit look like the pics from nurseries.

It is ripening now. Brix was 22. That’s high for plums in this rainy season.

3 Likes

It’s not real productive here and rather small, but you’ll notice that the flesh isn’t really fully amber, which is the only state in which most E. plums get up to 20 brix or more here. It’s a little like pluots in the ability to get high sugar when still fairly firm.

My tree isn’t in the best part of my property for plums- I think I will try grafting it to a tree in a better location.