Evans Cherry non-grafted source?

Does anyone know of a source in the States for Evans rooted cutting or tissue cultured? I had an Evans from Fedco (grafted onto Mazzard) fruiting for about 8 yrs till it died (raccoons, broken branches, disease set in, died). It was good producer, good fruit, and I’d planned to graft a scion onto the lone sucker it put out. But in reading experiences in Canada/Alaska I think I’d like to grow it on its own roots instead (and graft something else onto that sucker). But I can’t seem to find a source in the US for a non-grafted seedling.

Ask Honeyberry USA if theirs are grafted or rooted. Their U SK bush cherries are own root, so maybe their Evans is too.

http://honeyberryusa.com/honeyberry-plants-2.html

2 Likes

You may be able to start your own if you can find a tree. I had assumed that hardwood cuttings should be used, and any google search seemed to point that way, but according to the following U of S paper it seems they are easier to root if it the cutting is taken from June to early August. The instructions are for dwarf sour cherries, but I think the Evans is very closely related. They do not, however, indicate if the cutting should be new wood or last years. Sour Cherries up here are never grafted, but then we probably do not have the same diseases.

Propagation of Dwarf Sour Cherries
The major bottleneck for dwarf sour cherry production in Saskatchewan has been propagation. The primary propagator of SK Carmine Jewel expressed concern that demand far outstrips supply. A series of propagation experiments began in 2001 to overcome this problem.
Cuttings
Over a 3 year period, cuttings have been taken in early June, early August, mid August, and in the greenhouse during winter. Most experiments tested five advanced and/or SK Carmine Jewel.
Rooting occurred on all dates in the summer. Winter rooting was more problematic as stock plants and newly rooted cuttings often went dormant and would no longer produce good shoot growth. Greenhouse rooting was further enhanced by providing bottom heat.
The cherries propagated in 2001 were placed in mist beds set for ideal conditions for apple rootstock. They seemed to be more susceptible to rots, which indicate a few areas that could be investigated:

1. a lower frequency of misting is needed.
  2. a potting mix with less water holding capacity (perhaps sand mixture?) 3. fungicides are needed
    Various experiments were done using IBA and IBA + NAA, and various concentrations of these but no treatment seemed superior. IBA powder #2 was the control in most cases and usually gave >80% rooting.
1 Like

St. Lawrence Nurseries in Potsdam NY used to offer it as a tissue-cultured selection, under the name “Bali”. Don’t know if they’re offering it in their current incarnation, but even if it’s not listed in their catalog, they might have it available.

I had it here for nearly 20 years – just too warm for it; it was a POC here, but I’ve seen photos of it in zone 4 settings and it looks terrific! Mine suckered like crazy - new plants popping up all the time, as much as 30-40 ft away.

3 Likes

I just got an email from Bernis, HoneyberryUSA. Their Evans IS on its own roots. And yes, they’ll be happy to add to my order already submitted (no extra charge). This email exchange happening on New Years Eve!

3 Likes