Evercrisp apple

This is the only Fuji variant that claims to have some tart in it. I’ve never heard of it though.

1 Like

We live in different areas, even if you are close, but we are world’s apart in palate. I haven’t considered Fuji great for 30 years… that’s when I began tasting so many unusual varieties. Even for sweets, I much prefer Jonaprince (jonagold) and it’s dual purpose. In winter and spring at least half of my apple consumption is cooked. I need some acid with that sugar.

I’ve got the Rising Sun Fuji. My family and I like it very much. It stores really well and are always very well red colored. . This is the first year I have not had a lot of apples growing on it.
Some of my other apples trees, not all of them, seem to have just a certain side with apples. We had a few cold nights so perhaps that is the reason YET my peach trees are loaded with peaches. Usually if any of my fruit trees get cold damage it is usually the peaches that take the hit with no fruit production.

3 Likes

I’m (mostly) convinced Fuji has changed in the last 40 years at least as much as my palate has adapted. At least the fruit around here.

3 Likes

I spoke with a orchard owner who grows the Evercrisp in Wilkes county NC. I asked him if it was somewhat disease resistant. He rolled his eyes and replied, “it is a disease”.

The Crimson Crisp is some better, but the only modern variety he didn’t hate on was the Goldrush.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone is breeding apples for your climate. The Midwest Growers association wasn’t going so much for overall disease resistance with Evercrisp- it wasn’t meant to be scab resistant or CAR resistant. The idea was to create an apple with Honecrisp texture that didn’t end up having only half of the apples good enough for pack out, that is, apples without the bitter rot.

1 Like