Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Good morning from the north of Spain.
Pyrenees mountain range.
Navarre.
I am writing to you because I am experimenting with apple tree plantations at altitude.
Planted at 1400 m altitude.
I am interested in apple trees with red flesh and I don’t know which varieties would be suitable for this climate.
A friend brought me a few varieties from California.
Could you advise me and help me in the choice of varieties suitable for consumption and production of cider?
I would like to experiment with a few varieties of red flesh to test how they react and the quality of the fruit at that height.
Thank you very much for listening to me from so far away.
Edward

4 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

Love your stone house. :slight_smile:

Most of the European red fleshed apples probably do well, plus I imagine Redfield, as you seem to have a great location for apples.

The Etter red fleshed from California need a long growing season…I don’t know if you have that.?

There are varieties of red fleshed apples in Europe that I’ve not been able to acquire scionwood of, so I don’t have any recommendations for you based upon personal experience.

I am aware some like Wierouge and Baya Marisa and Estonian Wine Apple and the Redlove series are being grown commercially in Europe to some extent…how much I am not sure.

IFO International Fruit Obtention in France has a number of newly bred red fleshed apples being trialed commercially. Not available in America.

Welcome and good luck with your endeavors.

1 Like

They are grafting some of Baya Marisa on me.
I have two two-year-old redlove plants but I don’t know which one it is.
And they are also grafting me with redlove odisson to plant this spring.
I hope they send me from Canada some graft of Geneva.
I would like to exchange when I have wood with other countries but I am starting with these varieties.
From California, I have brought a friend, Grenadine, Pinkpairfait, and Rubayat to graft me.
Otterson is another variety that I would like to have.
I will go little by little trying to increase the varieties.
Thank you very much for the welcome.
E

duardo

7 Likes

That’s a beautiful spot.

In addition to @BlueBerry 's excellent suggestions, you might also consider trying some of Neils Hansen’s red-fleshed varieties, such as Almata and Winekist. Hansen developed these in South Dakota, and they’re better-suited to cold areas with long winters than Etter’s California-bred apples. They’re tart, but likely good additions to cider.

3 Likes

This is the place where I want to plant the new varieties at 1400m altitude.
I think it is the perfect place for the annual cold hours and very sunny.

11 Likes

8 Likes

I just bought the redlove calypso, im pretty excited about it!
Anyone know if they’re patented or trademarked?

2 Likes

Thank you

They are trademarked. The websites show that with TM or R designation. I’ve spent a lot of time looking for a patent, and am unable to find one. I also dont see patent on nursery websites for Calypso. I am not a patent or trademark, or any other kind of lawyer, however.

Wow, that’s a beautiful rustic stone house and setting. I would love that!

2 Likes

I’m guessing your native language is Spanish…not sure who ‘they’ are that are grafting for you.
Sounds as if either Americans or Canadians are visiting you and grafting scionwood to your trees…but probably you mean you are being sent scions that you plan to graft.

I have Otterson, but it’s just planted and I don’t have any scionwood yet.
Also, don’t know what restrictions if any Spain puts on imported wood from other places.
In USA it likely would be confiscated or quarrantined.

Yes I am from Spain - Navarra.
Excuse me for my language. I am not fluent in the language.
My friend was in California and he works with wine.
He got me there and I’ll try to insert at the end of the month.
Thank you very much for the advice.
I see that it is very complicated.
I will go little by little.

5 Likes

Germany has many red fleshed apple and you can import from Germany.

2 Likes

:+1:
Gracias

1 Like

Hello.
I have more doubts:
If I want to graft apples with red pulp, is it better to graft them in the rootstock or seed graft carrier?
Is it better if this rootstock is red-fleshed apple seeds?.
If so, could someone send me seeds of their apples to Spain?
I tried to buy online and after paying they never came home.
Thanks.

2 Likes

It won’t matter if the rootstock is from red fleshed apples. You should just use what apple rootstock works best for your area, soil and climate :+1: Good luck in the grafting!

2 Likes

30 varieties.
With so many different varieties a lot can be done.
I like it

2 Likes

Some apple varieties starting to wake up… :heart_eyes:

Surprize apple tree

Regarding the Surprize apple variety:

"Surprize is an excellent apple, having none of the drawbacks of some of the other redfleshed releases which seem, with hindsight, to have been slightly premature. It’s on a level with Rosette, but its properties are different.

Rosette has probably the best red-fleshed apple flavour I’ve encountered. Its main drawback is that it’s so short-lived; being very like Discovery, it ripens very early and the season is soon over.

Surprize ripens slightly later and keeps rather better; perhaps for a week or two. The fruit is juicy and attractive in colour, being solid red inside. The texture is firm and not too coarse; the flavour is an excellent balance of sweetness and acidity, and there is no trace of the tartness or bitterness typical of many redfleshed releases. Weirouge, Roter Mond, the Redloves, Baya Marisa and others often seem to be to be in the second division for flavour; Surprize is some way above them; probably in Division 1.

The apple is not of the ‘Hansen’ type; the pips are brown, not red, and the skin is yellow-orange, with conspicuous lenticels (speckles)."

Red Fleshed Apples - Surprize, DIVERSITY website (suttonelms.org.uk)

3 Likes

Like said above, it doesn’t really matter. The possible exception is there are some red fleshed trees that are naturally pretty small, so I graft them to vigorous stock… that just happens to to B.118. I’m hoping that when everything shakes out, my Winekist and Red Veins on B.118 will be comparable in size to my other trees on G.890.

1 Like