Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Those Era look really impressive. I’m just finding this thread with your pictures.

Aerlie’s is the only red-fleshed I’ve tasted, that I knew I could grow, and that I’m confident I’d choose worth growing if I was tasting them in a blind taste test. In other words, It’s got more than the red flesh going for it. I don’t think I care for high acid fruit unless the brix is also off the chart.

I’m intrigued by Era.

Funny, I have a graft of “surprise”, and expected to get red fleshed apples from it. Perhaps mine was labeled “surprise” to mean that the variety was unknown :). I don’t recall how they turned out, but they weren’t red-fleshed. I guess the Z matters.

2 Likes

Its not just ‘Surprise’, it should have been ‘Scarlet Surprise’ or Crimson Surprise.

2 Likes

I bought my surprize apple tree on orangepippintrees, so mine is correct.
This is the link:
Apple - Surprize - tasting notes, identification, reviews (orangepippin.com)
Apple 'Surprize' | Thompson & Morgan (thompson-morgan.com)

Mine is just “surprize”…

With a z?

1 Like

Yes

Apple Variety Aptly Named ‘Surprize’ Hidest Pink Surprise Inside - YouTube

The Surprize Apples Hidest Pink Surprise Inside - YouTube

Then its a different variety.

1 Like

Yes i think so…

opimages

Actually, there is indeed a red-fleshed “Surprise” variety that was the basis for Etter’s breeding program. Sounds like @murky’s graft was supposed to be that variety, but wasn’t.

2 Likes

This is Scarlet Surprise, I gave Mamuang scion from my orchard. Medium sized apple. She might be getting one or two this year!
4684CC23-2A30-4EC7-9B84-EC3DD10FE78B

3 Likes

This one have red skin. Mine have orange skin…

They are diferent apples:

Apple - Scarlet Surprise - tasting notes, identification, reviews (orangepippin.com)
Apple - Surprize - tasting notes, identification, reviews (orangepippin.com)

Your new-comer may be a fine apple…but it’s not the one with the red flesh.

:sunny:

Hello – It’s been a while but I’m still trying to track down Redlove Odysso scions! I’m in Canada. Harry Burton of Appleluscious does not have Odysso scion to sell this year… and last year he said his Odysso scion was too small. I have tried all the Canadian scionwood sources posted on the sources list and then some. So posting here with the faint hope someone has a lead. TYVM!

1 Like

If you don’t get any on US or Canada i can send you some…

1 Like

You are so kind. Thank you.

1 Like

I never sent anything to Canada… so try to get from US or Canada. If you can’t get i will try to send. No problem.

1 Like

Luis, I pmed you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My friend i didn’t received your message

I already have my red flesh apple tree Pink Princess sprouting…

2 Likes