Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

I always thought the story and name was interesting. I did not know it was a red fleshed apple though. Makes it even more interesting name to apple story. Not to sound gory. Just the name and seeing it red inside. Thanks for the photos.
The pics make me want to grow one now.

2 Likes

1 Like

There is also a Red Calville Blanc d’Hiver.

4 Likes

Yes there are, but don’t have red flesh… :grin:

This one is a very ribbed big red flesh apple…

2 Likes

I was just thinking that this looked like Calville. Now I find that there is a red variation of it for real! Now I guess I have 2 more apples added to my list of wants :man_facepalming: :rofl:

2 Likes

This variety don’t have nothing to do with calville, just on look… :blush:

1 Like

Calville rouge d’automne looks very similar. I can have red streaks under the skin and in the flesh.

2 Likes

Bloody Ploughman apple is a scottish variety not french. And this one is a table apple.

1 Like

Yes of course I’m sure Bloody Ploughman is a distinct variety. It is very similar to Calville rouge d’automne though which has less red colouring. It is also a table variety, ripens in september and doesn’t keep well. It has quite a “flowery” aroma, I have a small branch grafted on a tree.
Maybe it is somehow related, only genetic testing could tell

4 Likes

Hey guys! Does any of you have any experience with redlove lollipop ? Or other snack-sized apples ?
Thank you very much!

Odysso is the only one I know a lot about…and still have not gotten to eat a ripe one.
Cierce is sour.
Lollipop sounds like it would be delicious, but quite tiny. Have not seen it for sale in the States.

Cierce and Niedzwetzkyana and Bakran are all I’ve tasted so far…but I have grafted quite a few red fleshed varieties.

3 Likes

Odysso are very good… o loved mine! Sweet with very good taste! :yum:

3 Likes

New Bloody Ploughman apple tree… :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

You’re getting quite the collection of the red fleshed. My collection is around 30, ranging from 28 to 32 as I’ve had 3 or 4 die and then obtain some more scionwood. The ones available in the USA don’t include some of the East European ones. I don’t know that I’ve seen Bloody Ploughman for sale in US even. Evidently the apples from the B-9 rootstock make a decent cider apple…I’m thinking of letting a couple Budagovsky roots grow and fruit and see how that goes.

2 Likes

I’m thinking i will have 13 or 14 red flesh apples varieties… for me red flesh apples are amazing!

5 Likes

I have read a lot of poor reviews of red fleshed apples in the US. Most calling them a gimmick due to the flesh. @Luisport, could you tell me a bit about your climate? I suspect that is the key between a red fleshed apple tasting good or not. I am trying some out myself in north Texas. We usually get about 800 chill hours, with average winter low being -6c to -7c. Springs tend to be wet with lots of rain, then summers are very hot and dry, 35-45c for the daily highs. It is not uncommon to only get rain once a month in July - September. Freezing weather ends in March (normally) and doesn’t return until November. I know that a long season is key for the Etter red fleshed apples.
Thanks!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe that’s a consensus opinion. It certainly doesn’t reflect my experience.

6 Likes

Hi! Untill now i just get red flesh apples from 3 varieties, baya marisa for 2 years, and redlove odysso and red devil last year. I love them a lot! Baya is more tart but less than granny smith. Odysso is a sweet apple with a bit of tartness and good size… very very good!
My climate is +40C in summer with 15C cool nights. On winter we usually get min temp of 0C to -1C but many winters we can get -4C or -3C. Day temp 10C to 14C.
Our winters are humid with a lot of fog and rain (usually). Many frost nights too.
I hope it can help you…

2 Likes

@jerry, that is great to hear. The positive reviews I have read made me take the shot to plant some and see for myself. Worst case, I will graft other varieties onto the trees, if I don’t like the fruit.
@Luisport, thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Crossing them with better apples is a long term project…but one I’m dabbling with.

Redfield, Odysso, Niedzwetzkyana, have not caused any concerns with diseases. And I only have one of the Etter varieties. Winter Red Flesh, Winekist, Otterson, and others have shown little affect with CAR or anything so far.