Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

I’m guessing my Odysso from Jung’s to be on M9.
Fruits are bigger than pencil erasers. I probably should thin to one per cluster.

Redfield bloomed even earlier.

1 Like

mine wasn’t marked but figured it was m7 since it had the same weirdly high graft union as OGW trees from last year so I would guess the same grower (I got it at a local nursery). it bloomed a lot. it had one shoot of powdery mildew that I cut out, hard to spot because of the leaf color. seems like a happy tree and I love the wide branch angles, no training needed

2 Likes

Our coldest week came at the end of winter. That seems to have encouraged Bardsey (not a red flesh) to bloom again first in line with Redfield. Winekist came into full bloom a couple days earlier, too. The sunny warm days lately are bleaching Winekist flowers. Redfield bloom retains most of its color to petal fall.

Of the two Otterson graftlings made last year, the little one (4"?) succumbed to the desperate cold (for eastern WA, anyway) that hit us midway through October last fall. The other (12-13") is doing fine; its new leaves a lovely ruddy hue.

2 Likes

This one’s blooms are a little darker but not necessarily prettier than Redfield. But the leaves are more maroon glossy in color.

Photo borrowed from sonneruplund.dk
Denmark nursery. Apple from Hungary…‘Veralma Simontornya’
Ice storm kept mine from blooming this year.

5 Likes

Ah, another one of those short simple names for RF apples

3 Likes

Yep. Ver=red Alma=apple Simontornya = city of origin. :slight_smile: Simple enough.

4 Likes

Deleting

1 Like

Darkest red so far as I’ve observed. Veralma Simontornya
varalma

9 Likes

This year I planted various red fleshed apple trees on m111, which flowered and fruited… which is impressive enough as they were sold to me as 2 year old trees!
Thing is, they have set a lot of fruit and I don’t know how to proceed with thinning , any suggestions?

They are a Geneva crab and a redlove circe respectively

3 Likes

I’d remove sparingly…the M111 tree can support the crop of smallish apples probably.
Nature is thinning mine…I count about half the apples from 10 days or so ago.

1 Like

I was given scions of red fleshed apples, which I won’t name because they are trademarked. I made some trees on recently transplanted, small M26 self-propagated rootstocks.

As a backup, I grafted them onto an established tree too. Dang they are precocious. It’s a first for me to see flowers on a fresh apple graft from 1 year straight wood. Does it mean that these are tip-bearers, the fact that they bloom from wood with no spurs?

3 Likes

The redloves bear on spurs, but probably also on tips. I have a couple Odysso that I’ll get to eat from if varmints don’t eat them first.

Redfield is already larger than cherries…and dark red skin color…hope the birds don’t think they’re cherries!

1 Like

I have apples the size of cherries on my Redfield apple…early season here, and freezes did scattered damage in the region…but so far so good.

Young trees and maroon foliage are lovely in the orchard, or the nursery bed.
And, in bloom, especially attention getting.

2 Likes

@BlueBerry

…and how does it taste?

Mike

1 Like

First fruits…so later in year you can ask the question again.

@BlueBerry

I should have made it clearer that I was talking about the Veralma Simontornya photo that you posted

Mike

1 Like

Same story only more so…last year it bloomed first time…and the pea sized fruits froze.
This year ice storm crushed tree. (I have grafts and the trunk is sprouting).
So, you can’t get in hurry. The taste is probably sour and also some bitterness…but I am going to be using it for breeding purposes.

1 Like

Also hope to give a report on “Odysso” later this year. Have fruit at more than one location.

@BlueBerry

I can’t find expected ripening times listed anywhere for the Redloves. I have ERA, CALYPSO & ODYSSO

Mike

2 Likes

Please look in onegreenworld.com for all three varieties

burpee.com would have it too, but somehow the link doesn’t work when I copied

If you google odysso redlove apple it will come up,

2 Likes