Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Last year, my Calypso was ready to pick by Mid September and my Odysso was picked by October 3rd. I’m in zone 7b Maryland.

1 Like

@anon18642480

Thanx,

This must be a new on the site.

I got my trees from them and when I bought, this info was not on there ( or I could not find it)

Mike

2 Likes

What did you think of the fruits?

You are welcome.
I got the Era from HD about two months ago when it was dormant. It bloomed in late April and has some fruitlets. I read about the plant a few days ago, but I am not sure if the fruits will survive the heatwaves in summer.

6 Likes

Last year was my first time tasting both, but I have to say that Odysso is the better tasting one. They were both tart with a hint of sweetness. Not that Calypso was bad, it was just more tart. I only had a couple of each, but I swear that one of the Odysso reminded me of a jolly rancher! Then I had another one that was not as awesome.

1 Like

Odysso is a very pretty tree. I’ll be hoping to get to eat the fruit for the first time.
Have several fruits / different locations.

One of the darker leaves and blossoms among the red fleshed apples.

1 Like

They are very pretty, indeed. Even deer love them.This year they were the only trees attacked by deer in my garden! (Only slightly, thankfully).I even got a beautiful nectarine with double flowers pretty close to them that was left untouched.

I’m using a deer repellent spray once a week–even so, tip growth got eaten on my Veralma Simontornya red fleshed tree–the one the ice storm demolished and a new leader had sprouted from the trunk and already grown 6 or more inches. So, yeah.

1 Like

Hi, good luck with your apples! Can you please explain why there is foil on your pots? thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Mrs. Gibson,
They are plastic Gro Pro 25 gallon containers staying on saucers on top of the cement slab. The black color absorbs heat quickly and the pots are very hot to the touch under sunlight. I use the 18 inch heavy duty aluminum foil to wrap around .The width of the foil is shorter than the height of the pot so the bottom part is not covered. The shiny side of the foil reflects sunlight so the pot eventually will be only as hot as the surrounding temperature, just like the baked potato in the oven. We put the pine needles on the top of the soil to help with evaporation. We don’t have much more left for the new pots since it came from the house next door when they cut down the tree, and some branches were on my yard.
The temperature got over 90F in mid April this year and killed most of the flowers that were opened and the tiny fruitlets. When the second hot temperature period came, I barely had time to order and put the bubble mailers on top, they are the largest size, #7. The grey plastic gets hot but the air-filled bubbles act as an insulating barrier, so if I put my hand under it feels cooler and moist. With the dripping on periodically it is a liitle less than the surrounding temperature. We only have the dripping on 5 minutes each time to conserve water. So far the apple trees are fine and blooming. We will see how the fruits hang on under the summer heat. I start putting the aluminum foil on top of the mailers to protect the grey plastic layer. I will have the non-shiny side up this time to hopefully lessening the reflecting heat and not hurting the trees.

2 Likes

Wow thanks so much for a great explanation! Where is your zone 10a-b? Florida? That is hot!

1 Like

My place is about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, California, zone 10a. It wasn’t that hot a few years ago. Now I have to pay attention to heat tolerance in addition to the chill hours. Some that require 600-700 hours like Arctic Queen nectarine has a lot of flowers and fruits, while the low chill 250 hours Beauty plum barely survives this time with only three flowers that dropped.
Your plants on the terrace look so beautiful. :smiley:

1 Like

Finally, Redlove Calypso set 4 fruit this year.

I hope at least one of them will survive to maturity.

7 Likes

I’m down to just one Odysso apple after having 30 or so set…keep us informed how Calypso does and tastes.

Wish you luck.

I need to figure out when to pick them.

@MES111 - when did you pick your Calypso last year?

They look strong. Cannot wait till you cut into it! And the taste test!

1 Like

@mamuang
Tippy,

Last year I got a very few Redlove ERA and ODYSSO apples. I harvested on Sept 27 and Oct. 3. See the link below for my report at the time

One Green World now says Calypso harvest is late September with storage to December.

Mike

2 Likes

Thank you, Mike.

Besides Era, Odysso and Pink Pearl, do you grow other pink/red flesh varieties?

@mamuang

Grenadine & Scarlet Surprise

2 Likes

Tippy,

Do you make a small cut at the center of the ziploc before zipping the apple for a better seal?