REDLOVE ERA New York Zone 5b -REPORT

REDLOVE ERA apple.
RELEVANT FACTS FOR THIS REPORT

1. Second year in the ground
  2. First time fruiting
  3. Only 4 small fruit this year.
  4. Since I have no ripening guidelines, I left them on the tree untill the first one dropped.
  5. Harvested on 9/27/20.

The apple was dry, no crispness whatsoever, flavor was tartish/sour with some sweetnesss and a fruity maybe berrylike backround taste.

I tried to squeeze it to get some juice for brix measurement but it literally crumbled as the photo shows.

In all fairness this tree needs to be given a chance to mature and do its thing as well as I need to figure out the harvest time here.

Mike

See photo attached

7 Likes

Thanks for the intel! Much appreciated!

1 Like

Appears to me the ‘Redloves’ are a bunch of hype…but I’ll hold off until I taste ODYSSO this year…if it disappoints, then forget them.

1 Like

Introducing the Redhate ™ apples :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Redlove odysso it’s not hype… it’s really good, juicy and on sweet side… not acid. At least here is very good!

1 Like

I am the OP of this thread.

I was NOT denegrading this apple in any way.

The tree was only in the second year in the ground. I was surprised that it even fruited at all. I know the root system was not fully develooed because the tree still needed active support. I reported the facts of these particular fruit, picked off this very immature tree.

I noted that I did not know its harvest date.

I may have left it on the tree too long

I noted an interesting berry like flavor

Mine was definitely NOT a Redhate revie🤞
:blush:
Mike

2 Likes

It seems like there’s still some breeding work that needs to be done until we have a desert quality red fleshed apple along the lines of Fuji or something like that. But if you think about red fleshed apples as their own category of fruit and don’t hold them to an expectation of tasting like other commercially developed modern apples, then they’re great. Uniquely berry flavored, complex, sweet/sour — it’s just a different eating experience.

3 Likes

@SMC_zone6

Pink Pearl, is a full sized very good eating apple. Juicy, sweet/sourish flavorful.

Not “red” but plenty of dark pink

Mike

4 Likes

I love Pink Pearl. It’s like eating the sugar at the bottom of a bag of sour patch kids.

4 Likes

@SMC_zone6

But with all that fiber. “An apple a day…”

Mike

2 Likes

Plus the extra ‘anthocyanins’ in the red coloring of red fleshed apples and other fruits and veggies.

2 Likes

@BlueBerry

Now you are just showing off :wink: :wink: :laughing:

Mike

I haven’t taste the Redlove trademarked apples yet, but intend to soon.

So far, my favorite red-felshed is Aerlie’s, AKA Hidden Rose or Mountain Rose. It’s the only one I’d had before that I’d have chosen worth propagating in a (literally) blind tasting.

Also Lucy Glo and its friend, but they are club apples.

If I could pick a club apple to gro, Lucy Glo may top the list, but only ahead of Opal because Opal apples aren’t hard to buy.

2 Likes

If varmints don’t steal, I have Redfield, Niedwetzkyana and Odysso for sure…the other red fleshed maybe not this year. Redfield is big as cherries already!