Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

My place is about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, California, zone 10a. It wasn’t that hot a few years ago. Now I have to pay attention to heat tolerance in addition to the chill hours. Some that require 600-700 hours like Arctic Queen nectarine has a lot of flowers and fruits, while the low chill 250 hours Beauty plum barely survives this time with only three flowers that dropped.
Your plants on the terrace look so beautiful. :smiley:

1 Like

Finally, Redlove Calypso set 4 fruit this year.

I hope at least one of them will survive to maturity.

7 Likes

I’m down to just one Odysso apple after having 30 or so set…keep us informed how Calypso does and tastes.

Wish you luck.

I need to figure out when to pick them.

@MES111 - when did you pick your Calypso last year?

They look strong. Cannot wait till you cut into it! And the taste test!

1 Like

@mamuang
Tippy,

Last year I got a very few Redlove ERA and ODYSSO apples. I harvested on Sept 27 and Oct. 3. See the link below for my report at the time

One Green World now says Calypso harvest is late September with storage to December.

Mike

2 Likes

Thank you, Mike.

Besides Era, Odysso and Pink Pearl, do you grow other pink/red flesh varieties?

@mamuang

Grenadine & Scarlet Surprise

2 Likes

Tippy,

Do you make a small cut at the center of the ziploc before zipping the apple for a better seal?

Yes, Tony. If you Zoom in, you can see it. The slit cannot be too long as some bugs could crawl in through that slit.

I have mastered my ziplock bagging now.
Open the top of the bag only on one side up to the slit.
Slide an apple in through that opening
Move the bag til an apple is in the middle of the bag and the stem is through the slit
Ziplock that side of the bag
The other side has never open anyway. Save me some time.

4 Likes

Strong work :muscle:

1 Like

Hmm…one of mine is bent over from the load of apples…guess some thinning could have alleviated that. Still, my Niedzweitzkyana is mostly for it’s genes for breeding and not for the apple harvest. (Though I’ll be glad to make a pie or jelly. and show the novelty of a lovely red apple).
It has lovely ornamental value, as do some of the other red fleshed apples.

Infortunately i got many flowers from my Surprize tree but no fruits yet… they falled. I think it’s natural because it’s the first year… but the tree looks very healthy, so maby next year i will get fruits. No fruits on Redlove Odysso too…

1 Like

Last year I grafted Pink Pearl and this year out of about 20 flowers one actually took by surprise.

2 Likes

Please any one can tell me if the grenadine rosetta apple is a good one to have or i can pass?
Thank’s!

My little benchgraft of it won’t bear for a couple more years, so I don’t have any direct experience yet. However, both @derekamills and @SkillCult have spoken well of it in the past, at least with respect to taste, so I suspect that it’s worth your time to try it out.

1 Like

Thank’s!

For Whatever reason, i’ve killed Rubaiyat and Grenadine more than once after the grafts have been successful. (Am wondering if the scions have a virus or something?)

I’ve grown grenadine for a long time and have some insight on it. It has the most amazing flavor of the apples I’ve tasted from that group of Etter greenmantle selections. It’s strong, complex, like a fruit punch. It is productive and reasonably consistent. That’s about the best I can say for it. It drops from the tree before ripe a lot and the drops are pretty useless. It also takes a long time to ripen on the tree. As it ripens, it tends to go very meally, sometimes almost powdery for lack of a better description. I’m sure it’s different in different places, but I’ve always said it’s an apple in need of major improvement. I’ve used it in breeding apples a lot and will have more seedlings of it to let out into the world eventually. One seedling is quite similar to Grenadine, but I’m hoping it will prove to be an improvement, but i’ts only fruiting for the second time this year. Another cross tastes like strawberries, and I think it will prove to be an improvement on grenadine as well. But only time will tell as those are grown more and distributed to be grown elsewhere. I would recommend Rubaiyat over Grenadine for a very red fleshed apple. It has a better texture, which is actually excellent at it’s best, though it also can suffer from mealiness. It is quite red inside when very ripe and though not as intensely flavored as Grenadine, it still has a lot of “red” flavor leaning toward punch or mixed berries. I am also a huge fan of Pink Parfait, but I think it has to ripen on the tree well into winter to be at it’s best, and you can’t do that everywhere. Pink parfait and rubaiyat are scab magnets. Grenadine is scab prone, but I don’t think it’s as bad. One thing I’m convinced of is that the best red fleshed apples are yet to come as some of the many negative traits and genes are 'decoupled" from the traits we want, like color and intense complex red flavors. I’ve already sent out pollen and scions of some of my grenadine crosses and made second generation crosses in pursuit of that, so fingers crossed improvements are forthcoming. There are also numerous large apple breeding programs working on RF apples now and more will be coming onto the market a that race continues.

7 Likes

I am glad you like Pink Parfait. Even with the first year fruiting last fall, it tasted very good, better than Rubaiyat per my taste buds. Both ripened late for me into Nov in my zone 6a MA.

I just grafted granadine and a few other red fleshed varieties this year. Look forward to trying Redlove Calypso. The news that it is on a tart side does not thrill me.