Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

so I just found this, I’m 90% sure redlove odysso and calypso and one other I can’t ID are patented in the us:

“luresweet” (odysso) USPP27502P3 - Apple tree named ‘Luresweet’ - Google Patents expires 2035-02-06
“luregust” (calypso) USPP27624P3 - Apple tree named ‘Luregust’ - Google Patents expires 2035-02-07
“lurechild” (can’t match this) USPP27625P3 - Apple tree named ‘Lurechild’ - Google Patents expires 2035-02-06

the names “luresweet” and “luregust” match up to odysso and calypso in european IP filings if you google them. “lurechild” doesn’t match up to anything, does anyone have a guess as to which one that is? The patent says it’s comparable to odysso but earlier, that would be circe or era I think.

this is a bit of a letdown because these apples are super cool and I was hoping to propagate them more. the way they’re marketed in the US, with no mention of the patent number or patented name (on ogw, for example), and just sold through retail nurseries with apparently no commercial grower effort, is weird for a patented apple.

3 Likes

Oh i think you are right! I get a second red devil today and it’s totally difrent from the tree i had and thought it was a red devil tree… now what’s the one i have?

Anyone knows what variety is this? I thought it was a red devil but it’s not! :dizzy_face:

Here they show red devil like my small tree… i’m confused!
red-fleshed apples, DIVERSITY website, pictures of apples (suttonelms.org.uk)

@Luisport, your older Red Devil appears to be the same as the one that I obtained from Trees of Antiquity a couple of years ago. It also matches the description of the variety that @derekamills grows. This is a fairly well-known modern English apple, and I’m pretty confident that ours were properly labeled. Hard to guess what your new one is.

1 Like

Here’s the blossoms on the little Red Devil tree I received a few weeks ago from Maple Valley Orchards. Very very red flowers and red leaves too. The even redder leaves in the background are my Bud9 interstems.

3 Likes

I happen to have obtained Odysso here in USA before it got a patent.
In fact, I had a rather interesting email exchange / Markus Kobelt once:
Asking about his varieties…he said they’re not available in the USA.

(I proceeded to explain to him that I had 3 of his apples. :slight_smile: ).
No more discussion!

1 Like

I just picked up Calypso from burnt ridge, it had a few branches that were too low for me so I decided to graft them onto b9.

1 Like

Yes, that is a real mystery. I have seen the pictures on the Diversity website showing a tree with red leaves, but he refers in the description to the same apple that does not have red leaves nor pink blossoms… a true mystery.

This is what my Red Devil looks like. And the apples are great. Big, red, early and good tasting, but with very little red flesh at the edge in my climate here…

I have no idea what your apple is!

2 Likes

Yes that’s like my new tree… i just get a message from the nursery that selled me the new red devil and they say what i got is a real red devil. They say my oldest tree it’s a redlove variety. In fact this tree is very like my redlove odysso…

My Red Devil has not bloomed, and I acquired it 5 years ago. I’ve been snipping on it for scions though.

It definitely has the reddish young leaves.

1 Like

I grafted Robert’s Crab…it has darker wood…so be interesting to see the fruit interior in a couple years. Veralma is not bearing this year, after a pine tree fell on it last spring.
But, in time I’ll get some fruit from this one.

1 Like

I also grafted new varieties.
Here is the wood of some that I received from the Ukraine just before the start of this little war.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure Robert’s crab is the same as Dr Campbell’s

1 Like

Grafting onto a limb of Purple Passion.

9 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Simontornya Veralma apple

Baya Marisa apple

5 Likes

Those should all produce red fleshed apples, unless it’s the next-to-last one.
No doubt there are still interesting genetics for breeding in Asia and eastern Europe that
not all of us have access to.

I have Geneva crab crossed both directions to Odysso, and both those crossed to three varieties I chose that are not red fleshed. And I planted a bunch of open pollinated Niedzwetzkyana seeds…but most of them likely fertilized by Redfield…due to early bloom timing.

Niedzwetzkyana set no fruit this year, but may have donated some pollen, although bee activity quite limited in the chilly April conditions.

(Past two years Niedz. and Redfield bloomed in March here.) Last year, a crop anyhow despite the early bloom and late freezes. But in 2020 they had apples size of a Q-tip that blackened on the tree and total crop lost that year.

What variety you grafted on the purple passion?

How do you like Purple Passion?

I have several varieties red fleshed apples blooming this year. Can’t let them fruit as most are last year’s grafts.

Redlove Calypso has a lot of flowers this year.
So does Pink Parfait and Rubaiyat.

It hasn’t fruited for me yet. No flowers this year either. I grafted Cherub onto it, plus a few other Skillcult varieties.

2 Likes

The choice for professionals is still expanding with us. I red is well launched.

2 Likes