Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

That seedling is still alive and well, although a bit overcrowded, as I have just let them all grow out in that box this summer. They are all 8-12 inches tall. I will break them all up this fall, plant them in ground and let them go nuts in the spring.

I stopped on the way to work today, here is a closer look at the mother tree, it bore a huge crop last year and took a year off this year with a modest crop:

6 Likes

My first apple with any red flesh!!! I have lots of grafts of other RF but this is the first fruit.

Pink pearl. Tangy, fruity but still edible off the tree. Thanks to so many of you who have shared red fleshed apple scions, especially @BlueBerry and @Luisport :smile:

8 Likes

Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

So pretty! I’ll bring you some of what I have, when I come. Maybe there will be some Goldrushes I can bring . . . and King Davids.

2 Likes

Looking good @Rosdonald.
I didn’t get much fruit this year.
Do have one Odysso
the spur broke and I have the fruit laying up.
(Pollinated by one of these…
Esophus Spitzenburg, Frostbite, Geneva crab, or Cornish Aromatic)
Maybe next year’ll be better. :pray:

1 Like

Red Love Era?

Tart but very sweet…

3 Likes

Is it really any better than a Niedzwetzkyana?

1 Like

I don’t know i didn’t try Niedzwetzkyana yet. But it’s better than Baya Marisa. This one is more acid, less sweet and less red inside. Even so it’s a nice red fleshed apple.

Baya Marisa apple

1 Like

My baya Marisa has grown like gangbusters. It’s in a Dula Beauty tree. I’ll have scions of both come Feb.

Thanks @Luisport !

2 Likes

Baya Marisa apples

7 Likes

Harvested my first Winekist apple yesterday. The only one left on the tree. A bit smaller than I hoped but tasty, and fiarly red coloring throughout. This is the first harvest from any of the trees I grafted a few years ago. I am hoping that this tree will produce more in future years. [Was going to take a pic, but it disappeared too quickly :wink:]

4 Likes

How old was the tree?

1 Like

Maybe 6yo. It was doing well and flowering at 3yo, but suffered a bit about 2 years ago and has been regrowing. Currently it is about the size it was at 3yo when it first started flowering.

2 Likes

Our Winekist flowered at three years but didn’t fruit. No blossoms this year.

2 Likes

Mine at 3 years is still a whip and no blooms.

My Winekist bloomed @ 3 years but didn’t bear fruit and it didn’t bloom this spring. It’s a weak tree that the deer like to munch on, I have it caged to keep them off it. I have just one, two other grafts didn’t survive. I was going to regraft it this spring, but the voles girdled my B.118 rootstocks so low to the ground there was nothing left to graft to.

2 Likes

I can’t recall, as it’s been several years, but I think I got ‘winekist’ from Albemarle in VA…probably on M111. Anyhow, I took a bit of it and grafted to Antonovka. The original tree died. So, my tree is a '18 or '19 and it’s still a whip–planted between a useless tree and a 31 year old Fuji on M7 that has seen better days.
I’ve planted Otterson nearby and it looks just as puny…practically no growth this year…maybe 4 inches.

Last picked Red Love Odysso apples

9 Likes

This past spring I tried grafting a Niedzwetzkyana scion to a couple trees in my orchard, but the grafts failed. Imagine my surprise when I cut open my first Jonafree apple today from a GRIN scion I grafted several years ago. It was red fleshed!

1 Like

Red near the peel, and some pink veins? Or red as in red? I have seen northern grow Jonathan have some red inside…not sure I’ve eaten Jonafree.