Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Sometimes, to the jaded palate, extreme or mild can stand out. I think he does say that the reaction of others is overwhelmingly positive for it as well. I’d like to hear that those same others have poo pooed some varieties as well. But its encouraging.
I wish he’d give this variety a name so we can keep track of which conversations are about which apple. I’m looking forward to trying it.
He does list several common shortcomings of red-fleshed apples and notes this one doesn’t suffer from any of those. The texture is very encouraging, which he demonstrates.

4 Likes

Does Skillcult have a Youtube or Vimeo video up yet?

(I did get to read his Fas–buk post even though I don’t have the thing.)

Sounds like a fine apple (if you llike’em a bit sour.

2 Likes

Yes, follow disc###'s link above and there is a link to w YouTube video about it.

“Victory!”

2 Likes

Saw a recent video of you talking about buying a bigger farm, plus your successes with:
(Grenadine x King David) & some other crosses.
Would love to here more details!

1 Like

The new apple is Kind David x Rubaiyat, or the other way around. Its in the block with those crosses, but the tag is lost. Flavor wise, it has the classic berry and mixed fruit type of flavors going on that we find in red fleshed apples. The sugar acid balance seems very good, likely thanks to king david, which excells in that department. there’s no accounting for taste, but I don’t see anything to not like about this apple so far. By contrast, Appleoosa (Grendine x Lady Williams), still has some of the traits I consider negative for a desert apple that hold over from grenadine. a little dry, thick skin, higher tannin, texture kind of so so and declines with age. But I think everyone I’ve fed it to likes it and at this point, it seems worth growing and eating out of hand. I’ve eaten a lot of them this year. The flavor is more forward than the new apple, maybe a little like the difference between their two parents. Again to contrast, the new apple is thinner skinned, juicier, much more crisp and for lack of a better way to put it, better sugar/acid presentation, which might just be the juiciness. I’ll try to upload a picture here, but if you look at it this pic, it looks juicy and delicious, which it is :smiley:

You can see the coarse grain in this picture too, be the way it breaks away. I’ll be crossing this apple with all kinds of stuff for different traits. I hope it does well elsewhere. It is quite late. Mine came off at the beginning of december this year. Whether it does well anywhere else, or can ripen in the fridge if picked earlier are unknonwn at this point. I’m working on a name. I just don’t want to be too hasty. Pretty sure this apple will stand the test of time, but not likely in every climate. It could still be used as breeding stock to breed for local needs though. I’ll be injecting some disease resistance into the line for sure. Best case scenario though is that people cross it with very good apples that do well in their area. Probably the reason I got this in one generation is crossing an excellent apple for this area with the best red fleshed I could come up with.

25 Likes

Incredible good looking apple! Congratulations! :+1:

2 Likes

Only one other person has tasted the new apple unfortunately, and after being cut and kept in the fridge almost two weeks. But a lot of people got to taste appleoosa and I think they were all somewhere between impressed and blown away. I think this apple is much better as regards basic dessert qualities. The only shortcoming would be flavor strength, but that is a big contrast, because appleoosa is probably going to approach or equal grenadine in a good year. The new one had a good helping of excellent flavor though, enough to draw attention as delicious and unique. I expect it will generally improve when not fruiting on a less than 1" diameter, 5 foot new seedling, in partial shade. But only time will tell. Refreshing acidity, but plenty of sugar. But anyone might want more of one of the other. I don’t see why the acid/sugar would not be enjoyed by the average person. Some people like very sharp or very sweet apples though. Again, I just can’t find much to complain about with this apple yet. It had some watercore.

11 Likes

Fine job!

If the effort is applied, good things eventually result.

2 Likes

Thanks for your informative response to my poor recollections from the video of the other day. I forget that you participate in this forum.

Seems like texture can cover a lot of sins with the general public, and this one seems very promising in that regard. I wonder if watercore, should that prove common, will affect how well it maintains the texture. I know you pointed out that this one gets fully ripe, with all of its good flavor attributes, while still crisp.

I’m excited to try this one.

1 Like

And this was a 1st generation cross! He could have gotten lucky if that were the only seed he’d planted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a valid point: the red fleshed apples having red leaves and blooms are harder probably to
yield a delicious apple and not have some bitterness and other associated characteristics.

But, Albert Etter apparently had several generations of breeding. To get 3 or 4 ‘good’ apples.
And the South Dakota efforts, and others, using Niedz. only had one or at most a couple generations before giving up their experiments.

So, keep the red leaves, keep the red blooms, keep the red flesh, but get a good tasting apple…
easy to raise organically.
I bet it can be done.

2 Likes

That is a nice looking apple and the genetics are intriguing. Do you intend to sell scionwood? Like many here, I’d love to grow it and see how it does in my climate.

3 Likes

Me too… :grin:

2 Likes

I do have both Rubaiyat and King David…
neither have yet bloomed for me.

But, the crosses using red fleshed apples that also have red blooms and red pigments in leaaves, etc., intrigue me more. So my cross someday may be Arkansas Black x Niedz. or Redfield x King David or Mammoth BT. x Odysso or something. (And at least 3,000 other possible combinations from the cultivars I’ve assembled.)

3 Likes

Me three :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Maby you get it for me… :grin:

2 Likes

:apple: I DID IT! New Red Fleshed Apple Seedling is The Best Yet! :heart: - YouTube

3 Likes

Congratulations, again Steven.

Someplace (maybe in Japan? or NZ?) they tried crossing offspring of Surprise and Niedz.
and the effort to pick up both sets of genes didn’t seem to comingle.

Definitely looks like an improvement of Etter’s accomplishments.
May not be enough sugars to make some happy I’m guessing, though.
But, another generation and…

2 Likes

what I’ve noticed with people is that red flesh and unique flavor will cover texture sins. I’ve seen that over and over. Fortunately, this one doesn’t have to. Unless people want a very specific texture. Also keeping ability is a total unknown. Very doubtful it will be a long storing apple and retain that good flesh texture.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what’s up with scion sales. Most likely scenario is that they go on auction on figbid the first year or two starting this year or next year. I don’t even have a name yet.

4 Likes