Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

I’m not sure where the idea that it’s low in sugar came from. I certainly didn’t notice anything like that, though I didn’t do a brix test. Unless you mean the ratio of acid to sugar. It’s not really skewed much toward sweet or sour as far as I can tell, but some like a very low acid apple. I suspect though that sweeter apples will result when it is crossed with some extra sweet varieties.

5 Likes

@SkillCult

Congratulations on your apple! It is alot of work to breed apples like that. The process of kissing that many frogs to find a princess can be discouraging though it was calculated. My guess is we will see more of them very soon.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that too, but I consider that the gimmick/novelty effect, at least the appearance part of it.

I want apples that won’t be perceived like the pink pineapples that don’t taste any better.

It seems you get lots of well-deserved positive encouragement for your efforts. I’m happy to see the attention to something that seems worthwhile.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Yep, 20 posts back in the thread, the man himself posted in this thread about his latest apple.

4 Likes

@BlueBerry
You mean like immediately after I asked him to give us an update, lol ???
This is a video clip of him eating the apple, crunchy sound effects & all.
Plus information on young small size of the tree, which was not addressed 20 posts ago.

1 Like

Are you sure that is Era? From what I can see, the skin doesn’t look very red.

Here’s my Era this year:

4 Likes

May I request that you post here when it is listed? I may decide to bid on a scion.

3 Likes

With us the game red flesh will quickly develop. They are already on sale.

6 Likes

Wow incredible!

GMO? If not, do Braeburn and Delicious produce any red flesh…not that I’ve heard.

Have you tasted any of these ifo varieties? If so which is your favorite?

1 Like

I would like to know as well. That Y101 looks incredible :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Has anyone tried the Darlene Chapman apple? It is from Nick Botner’s collection. Chris Homanics on the North American Scion Exchange Facebook group says it is his favorite red-fleshed apple, with “Delicious rich indescribable berry notes. Great texture.” and low scab. I’m surprised, as Harry Burton, who charges extra for red-flesh scion, has it, but doesn’t even say it’s red-fleshed in his catalogue. The Temperate Conservation Society has it in their collection, but they don’t seem to know anything about it. Does anyone here know anything about it?

1 Like

Fortunately, I can get French-grown Kissabel Rouge in my local grocer in Germany. I really enjoy the flavor and texture. At its prime (late October and mid November) Kissabel Rouge has an intense red berry flavor reminiscent of the artificial flavor of red Jello. There was a lot of variability in the variety, and many lacked that flavor and were markedly more tart, but still enjoyable. As of late, there has been another shipment and again I find significant variation in the apples. The majority have a nice balanced flavor without strong berry notes, but it’s still a great fresh eating experience. The more ripe ones have started to become a bit mealy and developed a plum-like flavor. The combination of the intense deep red, grainy texture and flavor is jarringly similar to eating a Japanese plum. Definitely one of the most unique apples I’ve eaten for what it’s worth.

11 Likes

Wow. I would love to try one of those.

3 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

https://mailchi.mp/kissabel/kissabel-rouge-season-2020-with-exceptional-colour-and-taste

4 Likes

Yes, more folks should plant apple seeds (pips).

You never know. (And at least it can make bird or raccoon food!)

1 Like

I shared scions / 3 people this year…there are no more at this time.
BB