Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Do the red leaves mean it also has red tinted wood?

2 Likes

I think so…

1 Like

Yes.

How is it for taste and scab resistance?

When first found, the apple was picked early to mid October and was too tart. My grafts have yet to produce fruit but last fall I was able to return to the original tree in late October. Huge difference. I would rate the apple good to very good in flavor.

5 Likes

Redlove Jederman’s

4 Likes

Recently grafted that one. Probably potting it up later today … had them inside for several days in a dark place. (Not that dark places indoors helps much…my first 3 grafts in mid February (actually Feb. 8th) that have gone through all the outdoor freezes have come to life, the grafts took.)

2 Likes

Do you know the Bendor selection in Israel?
They are known for redflesh nectarines, plums, hybrid plums like Zeigler does, but also pears.
He has a program on apples, but also redflesh apples with more than 15,000 apple seedlings resulting from hybridization with redflesh varieties.
Here is an apple from his selection program shown this week.

9 Likes

Neat contrast with the skin. I wonder how it tastes.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the information.
Looks like they’re 1,000 times ahead of me almost, lol.
It’s going to take a lot of effort to raise 15,000 seedlings to fruiting though.

I’ll do more research on Ben-Dor Fruits and Nurseries in Israel.

Makes me think of the “feed me Seymour” plant. Maybe as a baby before it cut teeth.

Just saying

10 Likes

Looks kind of like Airlie red flesh.

1 Like

Some open-pollinated Rubaiyat seedlings.

10 Likes

That seedling of mine woke up this spring and is still kicking going into its second season. This time in ground in my nursery.

14 Likes

@Everett

That is a very special looking apple. Maybe you can graft a couple of small peices of it to a full grown apple next year. See how much it grows!

2 Likes

calypso repotted to #35 this year. it was in a #20 for a couple years and wasn’t even close to getting root bound at that size, which surprised me

5 Likes

You have a lovely apple tree for decoration/landscaping purposes…even if it ends up having really yucky fruits! But, I hope it has good fruit…looks like a keeper in any case.

4 Likes

I have Otterson in the ground now, with dusky looking leaves due to pigment & it has some of the highest anthocyanin levels recorded among apples. Its leaves look nothing like this.
If the fruit of this seedling is any good, get the anthocyanin levels checked. Heck, get tannin, acid & sugar levels checked. You may have the apple find of a lifetime!

5 Likes

And tell Skillcult.

2 Likes

Thats about as red as it gets. Very cool. Please keep us updated. Even if it doesnt turn out to be great for eating, theres probably strong ornamental value there.

4 Likes