Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

One of several attributes to growing with Bud118, in my view.

3 Likes

Almata on B.118

Red Vein Crab on B.118

9 Likes

Combo Red love Calypso in flower and Black Strawberry still green leafy.

4 Likes

Don’t have Calypso, but Black Strawberry graft took (I need to look through my grafts and see how it’s fairing.)

3 Likes

The birds and the squirrels seem to prefer red apples…just have 2 Odysso left and 3 Redfield and possibly 3 or 4 Niedzwetzkyana for a ‘crop’ of red fleshed apples this year. Not much to show for having forty-something red fleshed cultivars.

Be fortunate if those hang to maturity.

2 Likes

i have 13 blooms on my odysso right now. going to have to bag them as the crows stole the 2 fruitlets i had last summer. going to try the red painted stone trick to try and keep them from going after red fruit.

2 Likes

I saw someone do that recently with strawberries.

2 Likes

Is it crispy? How long before they turn mealy?

1 Like

Maybe spray them with surround so they look white?

1 Like

That’s probably a pretty good idea…thanks.

I use red onion bags hung in the trees to keep birds from eating cherries. It would be worth a try to see if it helps with apples.

3 Likes

Here’s an early season Malus sieversii apple I got from GRIN. Not at all great, but I like nibbling on them during this time of year when I’m out in the orchard.

6 Likes

When I first look at the pics, I thought it was a plum

2 Likes

A question - - -

First, background. I have Redfield on MM.111. Planted in 2017. Very productive. The fruit is quite tart. I intend to use it only for cider. I have a neighbor who makes a univarietal cider from Redfield; it is excellent. I also have Otterson on G.41. Grafted / planted in 2021. It gave a small crop the next year and has some more this year. What I tasted was better eating than Redfield – sweeter and less tart. I think it will also be great for cider.

Now the question: I understand that organic growers use red balls covered with sticky goo to monitor apple maggot. Assuming that red globes are attractive to pests at a time when most apples have not begun to turn red (e.g., July / August), could I plant a red-fleshed (deep red skinned!) variety around the perimeter of the orchard and kill most apple maggots by spraying ONLY the red-fleshed varieties?

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t know enough to give advice on that.
But, I do notice since Niedzwetzkyana and Redfield came into bearing, they get almost all
the plum curculio and the later bloomers don’t get much.

Niedz. is about ripe…seeds look ripe…and every fruit is marred by pc.
So is Redfield.
I didn’t spray except dormant oil before bloom.

How big do your Niedzwetzkyana fruit get?

1 Like

You’d have better luck if you genetically modify the apples to exude apple-maggot pheromones…

This year … golf ball size. But, I’ve seen them get big as small sized Red Delicious in a 3# bag.
Typicall not quite tennis ball size, and somewhat shaped the manner of Red Delicious.
Tree not as healthy as RD, but healthier than an ‘average’ no-spray apple tree.

About as ripe as this one gets. Still not a winner.

6 Likes

Mid summer update:

The tree has settled into the nursery nicely and has grown about 2 feet so far this year. Today I scraped the bark above a few buds to try and induce a few small laterals that I can graft to trees next spring. Fingers crossed.

10 Likes