Exploring for historic pears in Maine

My interest in heirloom fruit preservation led me to take interest in several ancient local pear trees. One of these, a 50’ tall , 2’ trunk diameter behemoth in neighboring town made a nice crop this past season with some distinct features that allowed me to ID it, at least tenuously as Buerre Gris d’Hiver.
Remarkably, a fellow fruit explorer also located a similar sized tree a couple hours away that is producing identical fruit! Sorry no pics, the fruit were good sized and quality and I will be gathering scionwood to topwork at tree here this winter. If anyone would like to trial it, Im happy to spread it around.

8 Likes

I would try some scions if you have extra. I’m guessing if they do well in ME they would work in WI. I’m planning on ordering some pear rootstock for grafting next spring.

1 Like

wish it was zone hardy here. i would graft it to my mtn ash. not much about it online other than its a very old french cultivar that likes warm soil.

Contact me in March if you want scion

1 Like

Have you done much pear grafting to mountain ash? They grow like weeds in my location…maybe its worth a try?

1 Like

here too. last spring i grafted 4 pear scions to my 6ft. mountain ash. all took and put on about 14in. of new growth.

1 Like