Fall Creek Brazzleberry Peach Sorbet Jelly Bean

Yeah that is different looking. I would not mind getting them, and a few other smaller type plants. But for me priority is full size plants. Five of my plants will be 6-8 feet tall when mature Mine don’t have leaves but i took a photo of Chandler NHB yesterday. It is full of flower buds. I’m not sure how many fruit those buds will yield? Maybe 100 berries? Maybe more? When mature it should yield 10-20 pounds. It is 3rd leaf. When it’s 6th leaf it should be full size. Behind it is raspberry canes. Around it in the bed are strawberries.

Here’s some berries from last year from this plant

Good looking Chandler. Are those strawberry plants growing in your planting box or some type of weed?

Wish I could find pine straw around here. I’ve checked everywhere and can’t find it.

I have a few other blueberry bushes one of which is either bluecrop or blueray (can’t remember and I lost the tag) and it is looking great this year. Its a 4th year plant that has always seem stunted but I reworked it and really put the Hollytone soil acidifier to it with vinegar watering and it seems to have come to life. Still small but looks healthy now. Loaded with blooms.

Yes, as ground cover, but yield is decent too. They can grow in an acidic environment. I keep them away from the base.
A couple of mine were set back by my dog. he chewed them to one stick when he was a puppy. So those 4th year plants are behind this 3rd year plant.
Here is Liberty, it has recovered from the dog attack. Also filled with flower buds. The strawberries here are growing well.

Here is Toro, also was a lone chewed up stick when 2nd leaf.

1 Like

Drew, your pics of the raspberries in full bearing mode could make me envious. It would probably take something close to a miracle for me to achieve a stand even half that good here. I planted 20 canes this spring, and it looks like I’ll get at least a few handfuls over the summer off of those foot tall starter canes.

I hear really bad things about growing raspberries here from person at university/nursery at garden club meetings compared to blackberries being super productive here, Central AL… Hope i can prove them wrong or get lucky. Trying many different kinds of black/yellow/red, and will add at least 10 more kinds this year/next years orders
Red - Mammoth, Caroline, Sweet repeat(Nantahala), Latham, Heritage, Canby
Yellow - Fall gold, Double gold, Anne
Black - Jewel, Dundee
Purple - Brandywine, Royalty
Mix - Tayberry, Boysenberry

Jason, we’ll have to compare notes on they fare for each of us. Our summer weather might be very comparable. I don’t know about the winters. When did you plant yours? I only planted 5 each of 4 red varieties of dormant canes in March. Lauren, Nantahala, Prelude, and Jaclyn. They are in a cooler area of the property where they some sun, but considerable shade from tall trees in the summer. It’s also an area with good air circulation. They appear to be happy and doing well so far, but spring is not one of the major problem seasons for them here.

I’ve repeatedly tried Heritage from the box stores, but never gotten even one through its first summer. So, I didn’t even consider that one.

Here’s wishing us both luck. I think pulling it off might be a coup greater than growing sweet cherries successfully down here.

Canby is a good raspberry. have great success with it. Suppose to be thornless but they have fine thorns on stems. Berries are small but firm. i have mine in a 7 gal smart pot and do not protect for winter. I am in zone6/A. Sure there are some die back but good thing is winter did not kill it. Mammoth I got from Henry Field’s twice and twice they died on me!

Adoring the pictures, and yes roundface mysore is pretty nice but thor-nay! Drew I like your ‘if you got em show em’ approach, beautiful plants. Im still sorting out getting the right pH irrigation water for my Sunshine Blue and a fert with no nitrates that I can afford in bulk. So far ammonium sulfate is working well but looking for something to supply the other elements:

Here’s a progress of some of the growth.

to this,

and the full plant (seems to favor leafing out only selective canes for some reason)

It’s looking better Dan! Mine are progressing along. The flowers are bigger now, starting to leaf out.

Thank you! Still looks like a midget compared to yours but thats to be expected given the difference in variety and cultivation :grinning:

Does yours usually flower so late? Mine was in full flower mode from Jan/Feb

Yes, in the Midwest in Michigan. We have a frost warning tonight. I don’t have any mature fruit yet, none. On anything. Strawberries are first, and that should be in early June. Those blueberry flowers pictured will mature in late July into August. Some others I have mature earlier. Chandler is rather late. July and August I will be loaded with blackberries, raspberries, currants, blueberries. Most of the fruit comes in July and August, so 2 months away from peak ripening around here.
In Jan/Feb it was as low as -16F here.

Wow -16F, it was at eaaily 60 degrees warmer than that at our coldest point last winter, I guess the later flowers do make sense with those temperatures. BBs seem to ripen fairly quickly, as opposed to say sapodillas which can take 5 to 7 months from fruit set to maturity.

Yeah tropical plants that take that long cannot be grown here. We got 4 months, it has to mature in 4 months. Some hot peppers barely make it.
What’s cool about the blueberries is the hotter regions can supply them early in the year, and we can supply fresh fruit late in the year. Makes it all good. I will be picking blueberries from July to September.