Fall crops of mustard are bountiful!

This is part of my fall mustard crop. I took these pictures at daylight this morning. I have 100’ of this so I need to find the energy to can some of it.

3 Likes

I planted mustard as a cover crop because they claim it kills nematodes

Most of it is yellowing now and wouldn’t be worth it as a crop - I wonder what’s the difference

1 Like

This is brown mustard and we use it for pickling spices in the summer but this time of year we grow it for greens. Yellow mustard is different and that may be what you grew. Yellow mustard is what the condiment is made from. We grow yellow mustard as well but not nearly as much or for the same purpose as brown mustard.

1 Like

They call this Mighty Mustard Pacific Gold

I just hope a freeze comes along to kill it before it goes to seed

1 Like

I planted once red giant mustard. I let a few plants go to seed. Since then I have been getting two crops, spring and fall, without doing anything. Tremendous weed, and a decent potherb.

2 Likes

I mixed yellow and brown mustard and was planning on tilling it in but the patch has not been tilled for 3 years and just keeps getting better so I don’t want to mess that up. I am going to can some kale so I might as well try some of the brown mustard as well.

What temperature actually kills it? Both yellow and brown still look fine after a hard frost a few nights ago.

1 Like

Those are some beartiful mustard greens! When did you plant? Because of another back surgery I was behind on fall plants, and was able to get out a few short rows of spinach, kale and turnips. I’m a funky micro-climate in 6B and hope foir a decent winter to keep me in greens. I hope mine look half that good!

1 Like

I hope mine freezes and dies soon! I don’t like mustard greens!

Thank you I planted them the first part of August.

as a kid, mustard greens were something i wouldn’t put in my mouth no matter how my parents nag me about how they are good for me(along with garlic, collards, peppers, etc). To me, vegies were too bitter, or spicy/strong-flavored, etc, and french fries were what i considered an edible vegetable. Only started to like them as a teenager, and now as an old goat, i could never get enough of them and conversely-- for some reason, couldn’t stand the smell of fries!

2 Likes

Me too jujubemulberry. Maybe we have some instinctual sense that we’re not going to live forever. How often does a kid say, “That’s too sweet!” Never. People seem to develop more complex flavor appreciation as they age. Our sense of smell is at its strongest at age 10-12. Maybe that’s why they like such bland sweet food. Our food is too strong flavored for them.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

That’s a beautiful forest of mustard.

I’m hoping to get into the rhythm of the seasons and plant mustard, kale and some chinese greens next summer…waaay too late, now.

Quick question, though…do you do anything to avoid seedlings getting munched by slugs or snails? Around here, we have slugs as big as your index finger and they’re always hungry. We’ve also got snails that are about the size of a quarter. Shells are swirled brown and white. Pretty, but, voracious. :frowning:

I’m curious if you resort to beer traps or Sluggo, or anything like that. I’m trying to stay totally organic, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Congratulations, again on the lovely mustard. It sure tastes yummy sauteed with garlic and olive oil and mixed with pasta.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have snail or slug problems. Suspect the secret is the birds and animals who would transform them into escargot on the spot!

A lot of the deal is in your climate. If you live in the Arizona desert or other dry area, typically slugs are not such a problem. If you live in a wet place like the Pacific Northwest, slugs are a huge problem.

Beetles eat slug eggs, which in the long run, helps a lot. Snakes eat slugs and so do ducks. Beer traps can help, but you have to check them. Only use cheap beer in them, because slugs prefer it and it’s cheaper. Save the really tasty beer for yourself. You can use copper barriers or diotomaceous earth.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

John,
We have lots of beetles here. I did not realize beetles ate the eggs.

No slugs this late in the year, but my mustard crop attracted flying hordes of cabbage moths that attacked the kale, bok choi and lettuce until I sprayed the whole garden with superneem

1 Like

Can’t slow this mustard down! Wish I had a bunch of mustard lovers down the road a little ways to help me eat it! Guess as long as I like I like mustard I won’t starve! The picture of my leg next to the mustard is to show it’s nearly waste tall!

3 Likes

Not going to seed yet, I see

1 Like

No I think I will till in what I don’t eat as green manure and make sure the bad nematodes don’t come to live here. It should bump the humus up a lot in the soil which should help the worms and moisture levels…

I was really hoping it’d die back before I tilled it in with my little Mantis

1 Like