Fall shipped hybrid persimmon

Hello,

I was wondering if any orchard ships bare root hybrid persimmons in the fall? I looked on Rain Tree Nursery and England’s Orchard, which seem to suggest Spring 2022 shipment.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Edible Land Scaping nursery

2 Likes

Mine were from England.

For zone 6a you need the more hardy hybrids… Not Nikitas Gift it is not good for 6a…
Ones like Rosseyanka which is more widely available, and that you may find one available this fall or next spring…
and the new ones introduced by Englands Orchard that are very rare…, that you better get preordered asap usually a year+ in advance so on those good newer ones if Englands has one for spring 2022 you would be blessed to get one that soon… For you, JT-02 is the very best…, cold hardy for 6a(-20 to -25F)… Other great ones hardy to -16 to -20F that should work for you are Kasandra, Davids Kandy, others and those are better for drying more like kaki, and NB-02 hybrid is more similar to a pure american…
I would email Mr Cliff and if he has one for spring that is your best option on these rare ones… Yeah and his big pure americans are hardier to zone 5b and are nice big fruit like Prok, H-118, and other nice ones!

3 Likes

Stephen, I have Nikita’s Gift growing at my place in Pittsburgh. It has died back a bit each year (planted 2019) and will be a bit longer to fruit, but I’ve heard it’s worth the effort. I plan to track down JT-02 and a few others this year as scions (mine didn’t make it this years order).

Any particular reason you are searching for hybrids and not the best available American cultivars?

2 Likes

Space is limited and I’d prefer a tree that grows 15-20 feet (height and width). With those dimensions and 6a I think a hybrid persimmon would be best. Moreover, I already planted 5 American Persimmon trees.

I’m looking at Rosseyanka and Kassandra.

2 Likes

My understanding of what Mr Cliff has shared is that JT-02 is one of the smaller trees for a hybrid, smaller than Rosseyanka. It is also more cold hardy for 6a than Rosseyanka, with bigger fruit. If I was you and only had room for one tree i would go with JT-02. :smiley:

1 Like

This nursery says they had fall JT-02 but already sold out. Maybe if you emailed them you can get a spring order lined up if Mr Cliff England is already out for spring:

Also Hidden Spring Nursery only ships for spring and is selling out fast but they have small Rosseyanka trees for only $21 and other stuff too.

That is fair. I have more grafted trees than I have room for at my house, so many of them will end up at my office where there is plenty of room. I plan to keep JT-02, Nikita’s Gift, and possibly Rosseyanka out of the hybrids, but many of the rare ones England’s offers sound very promising too. Your best bet (and likely the route I’ll take) if you are limited on space is learning to graft and investing in the best tools for it rather than getting a lot more trees. That way you can add backups to your existing trees and experiment with lots of different options to see which you prefer and top work later on with a developed rootstock and only lose a year or two.

1 Like

I have the Kasandra in my zone 6. Never any winter die-back. It is loaded with fruits now and has just started to turn color. Fruits are small though.

I found orchards the should be able to supply Kasandra and Rosseyanka this fall. I was leaning towards Rosseyanka as it appears to be more cold hardy and slightly larger fruit.

1 Like

I also got the Zima Khurma from Cliff. But deer took it out. So can’t comment on that.

I think Cliff England had weather problems and won’t have any trees this winter.

He had late season damages last year. Or the year before? He lost a log of mature trees. Jujube in particular.

Thank you everyone! I decided to buy a Kasandra persimmon. Does anyone know how large a mature tree would be? I couldn’t find any information regarding height online. It seems to resemble a Kaki so I’m expecting 10-20 feet.

2 Likes

I’m looking for Kassandra or one of the hybrids Cliff grows too. I suppose I’ll have to plant some rootstock though unless someone else is selling them. I’m curious as well the mature height for Kassandra (or JT-02, NB-02 or David’s Kandy)

I’m looking for a Mikkusu/JT-02 as well. I called England and I was told they don’t ship trees anymore. I also called Cricket hill and they don’t have any. Anyone have one to sell?

I’ve got everything except JT-02 at the moment. I mean literally… I have many-many hybrid cultivars. All are grafted on either northern or southern Diospyros however - and that could be a problem for anyone not in zone 7 or a warm 6b. Southern Diospyros americana I personally hold the opinion is zone 6b/7a hardy. It does die in zone 6a. That’s my dilemma…

Barkslip
P.s. @blueKYstream - if you need anything.

My trees will be for sale appx. the 2nd week of October and I will post a couple weeks in advance and they will all go live on eBay at the same time. I can’t say I know how many are persimmons, but I would guess I’ll have 70 trees - that will ship potted and to anywhere except all of the West Coast, Alaska or Hawaii (and only in America). You guys will have plenty of time and I’ll post what I have but each tree will have its own “'for sale” with photos of the tree so you will know precisely what you are to receive.
Dax

10 Likes

Which is your favorite variety that would be suitable for zone 6, MA? I am still hellbent on getting a Mikkusu/JT-02, but if all fails, I’ll get another variety and at a later time I’ll create a 2-in-1 by grafting a JT-02.

1 Like

I’ve eaten a lot of American varieties and only (1) hybrid being Dr. Kazas which was a pile of mush and maggots. I don’t have a clue however Tony in Omaha likes JT-02 better than Hachiya. Says it’s real good!