Fallen peach tree πŸ˜”

Help! I inherited two peach trees, an apple tree, and a pear tree when I bought my house in March. And today one of my peach trees fell over! :pensive: Looks like the trunk cracked - I’m thinking maybe the wind pushed it over? It was lopsided to begin with (looks like maybe a big branch was pruned off on one side at some point), so that may have been enough to push it over. The roots are still all in the ground.

Does anyone know if there’s hope for it? I temporarily put some wood under it to hopefully brace it and maybe prevent further damage. Maybe if I can get some people to help me pull it up (it’s very heavy) and anchor it to something for a few months it will mend? Ideas? Or should I give up on it and cut it down?

4 Likes

I think any answer is a guess but there is always a chance it might live just as it is. As far as getting the tree back to the proper location/position a tractor would work, possibly manual winches, if you have something you can hook the winch to. But one you get it back in the right position how are you going to keep it from falling down again? The only answer to that question that I am aware of is to tie cables that are staked in the ground to the tree to keep pressure on the tree from all angles so it does not fall down. A lot of work.

3 Likes

1 Like

You may end up doing more damage trying to restore the tree. Another option is leave it alone and let it ripen this years peaches. Remove after harvest, or leave it and mow around it next year.

3 Likes

I’d just leave it :slight_smile:
We have one that Hubby backed the tractor into and it’s cracked like that too.
It has lovely peaches, grin.
The trunk may mend on its own, heal over, but stay that shape.
You could always start some seeds from its peaches too.
We have two bearing seedlings with VERY nice peaches, one more coming into bearing this year.

1 Like

I second @ChrisL, but I would definitely remove it after harvest. Peach trees age quickly, limited number of peaches on the tree suggests that it is was not doing its best for a year or two. It is just its time. If you plant a new one, in 2-3 years you will get your peaches. And you still have second tree to provide you with peaches while new one is growing.

2 Likes

Possibly cut it in late winter and hope for sprouts above the graft … but just planting a new one probably best.

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone! I’m new to owning fruit trees (or any kind of trees, for that matter), so all the advice is so helpful. I’ve decided to remove it after harvest, and possibly plant a replacement in the spring. Thanks!

3 Likes