Farmingdale pear

Yes, I agree on the fruit. I just meant that the foliage looked thinner with possibly more slender leaves as seen on some wildish type pears. But maybe I’m seeing that wrong… or maybe that’s just the soil or rainfall this year.

1 Like

@snowflake
That’s an American plum on the right it’s a tight row of rootstocks and seedlings.

1 Like

Ok. I meant this image but maybe it’s just the angle…and lack of sleep :slight_smile:

1 Like

Farmingdale is covered with blossoms again!

2 Likes

Started this as a rootstock but i keep this tree to eat the pears. The pears are better than many so called better varities. Yields very fast as well.

1 Like

I’m going to graft a backup of this tree and give some scion to @39thparallel. This is a rare pear. It is not a high-quality pear, but as far as pears go, it’s better than many of the hybrids in most every way.

3 Likes

I wonder how they are rooting cuttings of the colonial pear rootstocks? We need to experiment with a heated winter propagation bench. If we figure it out, we could grow tons of rootstock or just root the named varieties we want.

3 Likes

Why don’t you try growing this tree from root cuttings? That seems like an incredibly easy way for varieties that grow well on their own roots.

1 Like

Farmingdale is a very interesting pear! Here are a couple of fruitlets today. @KSprairie nearly all pears have strikes of fireblight but this one actually does not yet. There are a few fruitlets in the photos

2 Likes

@clarkinks, I re-read the article you linked above, as I had forgotten the details. Very interesting pear indeed. I should probably grow a few Farmingdale for the blight resistance alone. Can’t wait to hear how your breeding projects turn out.

1 Like

@KSprairie @39thparallel

Would bet the farmindale would root easily. Old home is known to easily root.

1 Like

Good article and rooting instructions, @clarkinks .
Are you going to try root some cuttings this fall?

1 Like

@KSprairie

Yes im going to give it a try.

1 Like

@clarkinks That’s Great! Keep us posted for sure. I’d be interested in purchasing 1 or 2 if you end up with any extras.

1 Like

@KSprairie

I’m not selling pears but will let you know if i wind up with a bunch.

1 Like

That would be fantastic Clark. I wish you the best of luck! I just love the story behind Farmingdale and am anxious to see what successes you have with breeding. So much genetic potential there.

1 Like

Farmingdale does not have a spec of fireblight on it amongst trees all showing strikes. Imagine the interstem possibilities!

2 Likes

You should try with your Clark’s Crab too!

I’ve got a bunch of Asian pears on escaped and suckering Callery I dug them up grafted indoors, time to plant out, growing great so far.

1 Like

That must be why Old Home was used for OHxF!
(Bartlett not Farmingdale actually)

1 Like

@Trav

That is one of the reasons for sure! Easy to root , easy to take care of them, graft compatability is excellent, most of all high resistance to fireblight.

1 Like