Farms That Ship Fruit to CA?

Applesource in IL used to ship sampler boxes of apples but no longer does so. I’m looking to do some education around how different fruit can taste from what one gets in the stores. I’m looking not just for heirloom and unusual apple cultivars, but stone fruit, avocados, other pome fruit, berries, etc.

Do folks have suggestions of farms that do a good job of growing truly ripe good cultivars willing to ship sampler boxes of fruit in season to CA at a reasonable price?

If not, are there some growers here in CA who grow on a large enough scale to spare enough fruit for me to divvy up cut samples (not necessarily a whole fruit) for a group of 25 or so and are willing to sell or barter?

Some fruit I’ll eventually be able to grow in my community garden plot, but some cultivars will never taste as good grown in Davis as grown up north or back east or on the coast, etc. That’s part of what I want to demonstrate, too.

2 Likes

In California just look around at neighborhood trees , knock and ask. Your local chapter of cfrg might be able to help
https://crfg.org/home/chapters/

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’m not a good “knock and ask” person. I’m too shy for that. I’m also a CRFG member (at least through next Spring).

That’s why I’m asking about commercial farms that mail order or hobbyist farmers who produce in large enough quantity that they don’t mind selling a couple boxes of samples.

If you’re already a CRFG member, then you have the network you need. Contact your local chapter for references, there’s a good chance nearby members would give you small quantities for free.

I’m aware of what my resources are within CRFG…which is why I’m posting here asking my question. If anyone has farms they’d like to refer me to that do mail order, please let me know.

If people feel I’ve posted this in the wrong part of this site, just let me know which area you think is more suited to it. I felt that because this is about taste and eating fruit and raising consumer awareness of the variety of what’s out there that this was the right place to start this thread, but from the answers so far I gather others feel otherwise.

When in doubt, post your question in the General Growing Fruit category. It has the most traffic. More people will read your thread.

Let me know if you need help moving your thread there.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t California have restrictions regarding what can be shipped to there?

Not sure if this helps, both of these stores ship fruits in CA but shipping costs are high.

andysorchard.com

1 Like

The best fruit you can find will be local. Shipped fruit has to be picked earlier so that it is firm enough to survive packaging and transport and how ever many days it takes to arrive. You want tree ripe fruit contact your local crfg chapter or even check Craigslist

1 Like

Thanks. I’m aware of Andy’s and Frog Hollow and will be contacting them. Those are examples of the types of farms I’m looking for, but expanding to other fruits/cultivars. Thank you!

It does have some restrictions. But Applesource used to ship here and doesn’t anymore (not due to CA…it has gone offline completely). I’m not entirely sure what the restrictions are and how to be compliant but businesses from Applesource to Harry & David’s manage/d to do it.

Yes, thank you. I’d love help moving it there.

1 Like

For future reference, on the title of your thread, ( at the end of the sentence or a phrase) there is a symbol of a pencil. Click on it. A drop down list of category will shoew up. Click on the one you want and hi5 the check mark.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I see that your profile says South Pasadena. You should hit up Hollywood Farmers and Santa Monica farmers markets and look out for Circle C Ranch & JJ’s Lone Daughter Ranch stands to find prime, in season, picked-when-ripe fruit. That’s the best available in Los Angeles. I see that you’ve already found the 2 prime sources for the Bay Area.

Aw, thanks. I’m up in Davis now. I should change my profile.