Favorite format for a garden log/records

@ChrisHashtags seems to have fallen off the map. His last appearance on this site was January 19th.

1 Like

The Orange Pippin site has a entry option for apples, especially for bloom and ripening dates.

Hey @ILParadiseFarm
Saw my app listed above… I think I got it mostly working (def usable).
Think the absolute minimal amount of money I needed to get it off the ground to pay for this “programming plugin/library” that I use in my web application was $2000.00 (They have a popup warning otherwise saying need to pay for the plugin. I was actually hoping for more to get some help/tech-support from the people who create this library which they also offer for a price to fix some bugs and also to hire a design person to make better fruit-tree pics).
I debated paying out of pocket… But it is a bit of money so i put up a Kickstarter and only got $1 raised :slight_smile:

If you check out my Kickstarter video, you can see it works (it was just slightly buggy occasionally… also its great for backyard fruit growers who have maybe a few hundred veggies/plants/trees max… but I think performance wouldn’t be great for huge farms with thousands of trees):

So never had a chance to push it live. I use it personally for my orchard though :).

-Arian

1 Like

Google Sheets is working great for me. It’s nice to be able to pull up on any device.

2 Likes

Even though my MS Excel license is long expired, Google sheets will open and import old xls documents with no trouble.

1 Like

It works for zipcode 62468, but not for most others; e.g. 14850 (Cornell University).

1 Like

Only your ZIP code seems to work in the Chrome browser.

CORRECTION: pasting in zip codes fails often but typing in values quickly works!
:slightly_smiling_face::nerd_face::slightly_smiling_face::nerd_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m running Windows 10 Pro on the desktop. I used the MS Snipping Tool (found in accessories) to take this shot of your app in the Chrome browser:

1 Like

Yowsa! I remember those days in the 90’s when we wrote HTML (and sometimes postscript) from scratch!

1 Like

Sometime when you find enough 'round to-its … consider allowing users to enter either their zipcode or their climate zone.

1 Like

Actually, as one of the original implementers of WWW we were on Unix systems running NCSA Mosaic.

1 Like

IMO, Atom is a very good choice.

1 Like

Any plans to deal with trees that will not survive or will never fruit in certain zones?

Take PawPaw for example.

• In zone 3A your chart predicts October ripening, when actually they die during the winter there.
  • In zone 10b your chart predicts late Aug-Sept, but actually they never fruit in that climate.
1 Like

To my knowledge, no one has compiled survival & fruiting zone information in a form you could readily incorporate. Such is the thing of crown jewels.

From the database or lookup table point of view it appears to require 4 more columns: two for survival min/max and two more for fruiting min/max. You can implement slowly over time by allowing “?” in your columns as ‘unknown’ – which also provides a marker to each time you pursue data updates.

1 Like