Favorite Muscat Grapes?

Lon Rombough in Aurora Oregon may have
NY 65.483.2.
It’s a good one, but small berries.
Stronger flavor than Jupiter

2 Likes

I have Golubok grape in my notes A Russian grape Northern European grape
Do you have any flavor profile of this grape?

How early in maine What are your summer High temps? if you do not mind answering,.

(I can read all I want on Nursery Catalogs I am interested in actual people opinion of the grape in America , and if you’ve made wine or used it as a Table grape.)

Can you tell us more about your hybrid Saint Pepin x Alden?

Boizeau I was just reading how much does Cayuga wine taste like Muscat?
Funny thing is I was just skimming through the Hybrids, and hit a search for Muscat (CTRL F)
first grape which was Cayuga Highlighted Muscat (a coincidence )

(edit note they list 17 Hybrids On that page
He forgot Delaware (but talks of it in another post I already read.)

I also read Earlier Pure V . vinifera counoise grape has a Strawberry flavor
(but thought that’s bad haha)

1 Like

I have a good muscat grape.
It’s a hybrid
white fruit
fairly early ripe
but it has seeds
Have a few extra plants.

I don’t know if there is a better thread to discuss Jupiter grapes, but this old one seemed to be the closest. I planted a bare root vine last spring [edited] and was impressed by its vigorous growth this year. It has grown up to the 10 ft wire on the posts holding up my second story deck and grown far enough along the wire to be a fruiting arm next year (I hope). It also has 2 additional arms on lower wires. I even left two small flower bunches on those lower arms, and they produced ripe fruit that I tasted today. I really like the flavor and the texture, which is quite different from the 5 varieties that I already have.

The only possible problem that I noticed is that the old leaves are turning yellow between the veins and then dying. The areas near the veins are green at first, which reminds me of some nutrient deficiency, but none of my other grapes has a similar problem. Is this something that I need to worry about? Note that the Jupiter grapevine is planted about 8 inches from a large existing Canadice vine and is growing up the main trunk of that vine, which will continue to produce a crop at higher levels.

3 Likes

The Jupiter grapevine is very susceptible to powdery mildew and needs an effective fungicide. Also, your Jupiter vine is planted much too close to the Canadice vine.

1 Like

Some varieties and rootstocks are more prone to nutrient deficiencies than others. Young vines with vigorous growth can also “outgrow” their roots’ ability to take up potassium and magnesium, resulting in deficiency symptoms in the leaves. Muscats in general can be prone to leaf disorders. The mutation for muscat flavor seems to have impacts on leaf chemistry as well as fruit.

4 Likes

Thanks, tennessean; I didn’t notice any signs of mildew, but I wasn’t looking for it. I’ve had plenty of powdery mildew in other parts of my garden.

I started to experiment with close plantings a few years ago to try out some new varieties of grapes. I like all of the varieties that I grow currently, and my garden is limited to a 50 ft wide city lot. I planted a Coronation vine right next to a Fredonia (seeded Concord) about 3 years ago, and it has worked out quite well. The Coronation is fruiting on the lower part and the Fredonia on the upper part of the system. Both are quite productive; I think (hope) that the roots of the two vines have grafted together and are sharing the space. I don’t know if Jupiter’s roots will be compatible with Canadice.

In a perfect world I’m sure that you would not have your grapes so close together.

At one time I had 4-5 Jupiter vines producing that I got as cuttings from Lon. Jupiter is a nice grape if it is at its peak ripeness. Problem I had was the birds were getting them before they were fully ripe. Unfortunately, Pierce’s disease forced me from them. Hope that you have good luck!

Jupiter was one of the least favorite grapes I ever grew. Canadice is better as are many other hardy seedless grapes.

1 Like

I had Jupiter and really liked its flavor. Unfortunately, it weakened by powerdery mildew and finally died. I replaced it with Candice but I think I like Jupiter better.

1 Like

Thanks. I would have agreed with your first statement before I started experimenting with the close plantings. But now that I have a few years of experience with it, I think that it is a very useful strategy for the kind of situation that I’m in.

I have wires at 6 levels below the 2nd floor deck and 4 more levels above the deck floor. Only the most vigorous vines can produce full crops on all 10 levels. Most varieties produce well at the upper levels but significantly less or nothing at the lowest levels. By stacking the vines vertically, I am getting good production at all levels; and I plan to do it at the 3rd available position. I’ve even planted a 3rd vine at the location shared by Fredonia and Coronation. So far the new vine (Seedless Concord) is growing well (planted last year) but has not produced any fruit.

1 Like