February, and time to think about giving a bit back

Well, I brought this up a few weeks ago, and @scottsmith demurred, saying we had enough in the candy jar to keep the kitty fed into February. But now it’s February, and I’d like to keep Kitty purring, so I’m sending Scott $10.00. Anybody else who has $10.00 please join me, ay? If it’s been rough this season and you need to skip, that’s good too. If you’re just checking in now and then, or not sure you want to stay, feel free to ride for free.

But if you depend on this group and enjoy it like I do, I imagine you’ll be glad to have the chance to keep it going like it is: entirely community supported, and ably managed. Now’s your chance! This is the Time!

Whee!!

What a deal, what a deal. Where else can you visit with so many well informed, generous, cheerful, … good-looking … intelligent … brave … thrifty …

Help me out here folks, I mislaid my Boy Scout Manual and I’m running out of adjectives.

I’ll quit now and maybe Scott will come on and tell us how to do this.

Thanks all.

17 Likes

Is there a paypal account? i’ll Join you!

6 Likes

Here is the link which Scott used for donations two years ago, but perhaps it might be best for Scott to weigh in to make sure it’s still the right one. Like marknmt, put me down for $10.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ADR4BJPXPCAV8

@scottfsmith

6 Likes

Oops I just found the master sheet and I had the date wrong! Its Feb 8th, 2020! Sorry about that Mark. So, no need for donations for a couple more years :smile: We collected $1200 last time which goes for a good while. I did set an alarm in my computer calendar so it should go off in a few years (I hope).

13 Likes

Boy are we good!! We exceeded our goal without taking a penny.

:smile:

And thanks to all who were already whipping out their checkbooks, ay?

11 Likes

I’m ‘in’. Will make my contribution today. Thanks. :heart_eyes_cat:
I mentioned to Scott, 'that maybe there are some special forum bells&whistles that he’s been wanting to add to the format. A little padding in the account never hurts.

I’ll let @scottsmith speak for himself, but I think we should wait until he’s ready. I’ve probably been a little premature!

But thanks- I think a lot of us here share your feelings. and that’s a good thing.

Whenever Scott determines the time is right, I’ll be ready to contribute again.

Bells and whistles? The only thing on my wish list is:

There is a limit on how many characters can be entered in an individual’s profile description. That’s where I describe my orchard plantings, varieties, and successes/failures.

I would like to see that character limit expanded. I’ve already run out of room listing the cultivars in my collection. I don’t have access to another server for posting a link to the information, so I rely on this site to share information on my orchard wins and losses.

2 Likes

This is a longstanding problem… for reasons I don’t understand they have hard-coded that as being 3000 characters, and its not configurable. I did just put in a request to see if there is any easy fix I somehow missed. If you want to get around it just put a link to e.g. a Google Drive doc with your list in it.

… On the topic of longstanding problems, another one was lack of zone displayed by each user which was very handy on Gardenweb. At some point I found an easy way to put that in the card that pops up when you click on the user name, its at the bottom (assuming that field was filled out in the preferences). So, I marked that one as “solved enough”… :smile:

2 Likes

I love seeing the persons zone, It really helps to see if a member can answer their question. How do we click to see their profile? On their picture? Still haven’t done that (profile meaning, their list of what they grow).

1 Like

Click on their icon or on their username, and a little “card” pops up which has the zone information on it plus other good stuff.

1 Like

YUP ME TOO
pass the hat when time

1 Like

Thanks, Patrick! But it looks like we’re OK for a time:

"scottfsmith

“Oops I just found the master sheet and I had the date wrong! Its Feb 8th, 2020! Sorry about that Mark. So, no need for donations for a couple more years :smile: We collected $1200 last time which goes for a good while. I did set an alarm in my computer calendar so it should go off in a few years (I hope)”

I will be glad to Whenever needed. this is an awesome forum. Scott, you done good sir…very good…

great forum, thanks for your done good helps.