Fertilizer going ballistic

Clark, pretty sharp!,

2 Likes

And remember the thread on urine–that substitutes for ammonia in this formula also I think.

3 Likes

@BlueBerry

If you have an acre or two of corn or garden weigh that out. Urine has a strong odor if your storing it all winter just like a rest stop. Everyones situation is different. Urine can be a great solution on a home garden.

1 Like

i use milk jugs kept under the sink in the bathroom. once full it goes in the back shed until needed. great idea with the ammonia though. ive been using epsom salt around my plants for years. also if you have milk that sours. dont throw it out. dilute it 50% and pour around your plants.

2 Likes

Nitrogen prices have dropped 30% due to demand destruction and other factors. We’ll see if this filters down to us.

2 Likes

I have a neighbor claims to have bought a bunch of bags of 10-10-10 for $5.85 a bag…for his steep hillside pasture. No reason to doubt him.

But, it was $18.80 at a Lowe’s store I noticed last week.
(But, I also saw a 50# bag of #8 all-purpose gravel going for $7.95 at Corbin KY
Lowe’s----heck, for $10 I can get a pickup load in bulk at the rock quarry!)

Big farmers are increasingly adopting cover crop production methods. It drastically reduces fertilizer requirements.

I have to throw a huge caution into the discussion about using ammonia or other high purity nitrogen compounds on anything other than grass. Excess nitrogen blocks uptake of potassium which can be disastrous for most vegetables. If you go this route, keep the amounts small.

The best nitrogen fixing legume commonly available and that can be grown just about anywhere in the U.S. is cowpeas. They fix more nitrogen than needed for growth making excess available for other crops. I’ve grown corn with an intercrop of cowpeas. It is still necessary to apply some fertilizer when the corn is planted, but no further nitrogen is needed to make a crop. A huge caution that this is a water intensive crop method so don’t do it unless plenty of rain falls or irrigation is available.

1 Like
4 Likes

I’m seeing less traffic in evenings after rush hour…running out for fast food or that extra trip for a loaf of bread seems to be getting the axe.

I suspect enough people are expressing reluctance to buy fertilizer at sky-high prices, just like gasoline.

Things are changing. Especially compared to before the virus. Doesn’t appear any of the changes are for the better, either.

Good reporting–from Brazil. I imagine the same is true here. Some of it may be foot-dragging by the dock workers.

Kids are out of school. Those people you are used to seeing are at the beach now.

The Inflation Vacations are happening.

1 Like

You’re probably right. Any stats on ‘occupancy rates’ in Myrtle Beach or Panama City or St. Augustine?

$150 a night is probably a fair deal. If the family eats out 3X a day id say that will cost more than the room.

Theres alot of people that knows ‘its gonna get bad’ and going to take a vaca before it gets crazy.

My guess is that even though everything is more expensive… more people are gonna splurge this summer than they have in a long long while.

Demand on gas is going to go higher…not lower. I think even the state parks are booked up mostly.

Look forward to a trend of reducing/reusing/recycling to emerge… we are gonna have shortages but demand is going up not down.

This is the first vaca alot of families have had with their kids in a few years… and money will not be a factor.

They play…we will pay.

3 Likes

I follow your logic. But, at some point recession kicks in … it just might not be until school starts in the fall? (Possibly not until after the holiday season shopping.) Higher prices, higher interest rates, and coupled to shortages of more things…it’s not just fertilizer.
Fertilizer apparently has met a point of resistance and the price isn’t going any higher at least not this year…anybody’s guess about next spring.

1 Like

The resistance comes from an adjustment in the system. More wheat, more soybeans, less corn. That means less fertilizer. Expect much higher prices for chicken and pork to come. The next increases are just a matter of time. The demand for natural gas keeps increasing and the supply is at best steady, in fact decreasing due to Russia sanctions.

2 Likes

Whatever it may be…recession, stagflation, depression… modern day people aint the same as the older generations.

Older Generation- Balanced checkbooks, paid bills by mail, clipped coupons, ate out after church, cooked meals at home, had a budget. Times like this would have them strapping down… possibly striking or walking out of their jobs until things changed. Thermos of Coffee and a bagged lunch got us thru the work day.

New Generation- tap the app on phone… if enough money then buy something. Prices dont matter. No need for a wallet or watch… every dollar is digital. Sit in car while groceries delivered…eat out often… bills are paid automatically by apps. Money isnt real its a video game. Amazon has everything they need. There is fast food and convenience every 100 yards.

I dont think a younger generation workforce person even knows or cares about the economy or whatever is going on in the world. They do know what is streaming on Amazon or Netflix… and which place has the best sub sandwiches and pizza. $5 monster energy drinks every few hrs.

Gas is the highest ever and its making people want to travel more.

Diesel is the highest ever and the demand for goods has trucking companies unable to keep up.

Food is the highest ever and people are eating out more.

Talks about food shortages? People want to buy more annuals and mulch.

Recession? Depression? Stagflation? Nah those are old terms.

WhoCares, NothingMatters, TooBigToFail, IDGAF, -more relevant.

5 Likes

Good points.
Until one day none of the ‘apps’ work.

nice day out

2 Likes

90% of the population has no clue whats coming. you better be able to defend what you have with a group of likeminded people. no way youre going to do it alone. get ready now before it gets too expensive to do it!

6 Likes

thats when the panic sets in and we see how bad people can really get.

3 Likes

I feel like the collapse started when smartphones came out. Like its all been downhill since apple released the iphone.

3 Likes

I like the last sentence with the appropriate abbreviation, my motto! I would change the F for an S, my age!

3 Likes