Fig people Figaholics Sale started an hour ago

I see a few people asking about cuttings and these prices are very respectable. So are the cuttings. Just a heads up. FIGAHOLICS

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up! Glad to find my Ronde de Bordeaux and it’s always fun tp throw in a few cold hardy or early ripening impulse buys at $5…

2 Likes

That’s great! I think the sale runs for about a week normally if you have any second thoughts about other varieties.

1 Like

And it typically ends about 2 minutes later for the good stuff.

I no longer waste my time trying to order.

I just looked and saw literally hundreds of very good figs left. Ponte Teresa, BNR, Maltese Beauty, BM. Maybe it’s different this year because so many people are selling figs now. Some incredible prices.

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads up, I noticed this post even before I noticed Harvey’s facebook announcement, I found 4 varieties of fig that I wanted a lot, that are not well known enough to sell out fast, 3 of which I wanted for a long time, two of which I had already got, yet they failed to root, he’s the only person I have seen selling them too. So I am very happy.

1 Like

I’m glad to see that Alan! Wish you luck rooting or grafting them.
Unfortunately for me the two I wanted were gone pretty fast Irene’s Black Greek and Natalina but that’s ok because I’m fig overload trying to root 20 more lol.

3 Likes

Thank you. 20 is plenty for now.

2 Likes

Hat’s off to you Benjamin and Harvey. I hadonly dabbled with figs too briefly to have results at my last place. Now I have Adriactic JH (might survive), Bordissot Blanca Rimada, Ischia Black, LSU Purple, Nordland, Panache, Ponte Tresa, Black Beauty 10, and a later Col de Dame Grise (from FB).

Knowing next to nothing about the varieties I had to read the descriptions and make fast decisions. I’m in 12b so I leaned towards ones suitable in humid climates. I’m down the rabbit hole now and loving every minute!

2 Likes

In Philadelphia 7a/b, what would you recommend for these attributes:

• ripens by end-of-summer (don’t really care if has breba crop),
  • cold-hardy enough that won’t die back to ground (most of my figs in pots i leave out and they don’t die past 2-3 warm winters),
  • small eye (so ants/wasps don’t find/smell as easily)
  • won’t split with lots of rain
  • good-to-great productivity
  • optional: green color (i think animals don’t notice them as easily)

Any figs in the running that I should add to my very small collection? Note: doesn’t matter if they aren’t specifically for sale in Figaholics page.
The standouts for me are Violetta de Bordeux, and Marseilles vs Black (realize they aren’t green, but they do make nice crops for me).
Losers for me: LSU Gold (no fruit and alot of dieback), Ronde de Bordeux (no fruit, although prettiest leaves and puts out lots of branches so i leave it alone so far).
Have 5-6 more but they are in pots and a bit hard to gage on how they would do in ground.

Btw I have a fig from Iran if anyone wants to try it next year. I’m not sure if needs the fig wasp. Any area of the U.S. have that wasp?
A cousin brought back 5 cuttings. They all took, and I think 1 or 2 fruited without need for a wasp but the others didn’t (but those died in the pots one winter, and have only one left so thinking I should spread it around to trial out next year).

3 Likes

Figure out what Ross @ross likes. I just saw his list somewhere. I’ll try to find it.

1 Like

Cool, I have seen the fig boss site once. I will say some of those more extreme purple/blue figs are pretty as well (which violette de bordeaux fig i think has that color).
I may have to get Black Celeste, Colonel Littman’s Black Cross if they are cold-hardy.

Thanks Quill! You have some excellent figs there. I’d love to see how they do and taste growing in Maui. I’d imagine they’ll grow amazing too.

1 Like

I def. did not miss the sale :slight_smile: Picked up Violeta and Vasilika Sika (vasalis strain)

Did your RDB cuttings root successfully?

Mine hasn’t yet and testing my patience :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Yes, but it’s been a bit of a battle. One sent roots to the bottom of its tree pot within 3 weeks but its first leaves fried so I gave it another couple weeks and it’s now opening leaves from its secondary buds (I think that’s the right term…). The other took much longer to root but likewise sent out early leaves that dessicated; after those dropped a few weeks later I saw new leaves and roots.

1 Like

One of my cutting is trying pop a leaf, I will wait for couple of more weeks.

1 Like

Hope you and @driftless have success!

1 Like

That is AMAZING! I never knew there were so many varieties of figs. Thanks to Figaholics for preserving them. That is one of the things I miss about L.A…growing figs. I planted quite a few varieties of figs out here…nothing. The best they can do is to die to the ground and come back in the spring. Worst is they completely die. And I tried fairly mature large figs too.

If I ever hit the lotto I will buy some land, a bigger house and a big greenhouse to grow some fig trees in it. Crappy Brown Turkey figs sell for $1.29 to $1.49 each here. And that is at only 1 greengrocer, or you never see any. I grew up with fig trees, white and black figs. Look for the dewdrop out of the belly button aka ostiole…they are at their peak!

1 Like

You have some great fig growers around you in Pa. Bass from Trees of Joy is one. Quite a few other people too. Many will keep in containers and bring into a dark garage or build storage shelters for them until it’s safe to grow each year. Some people cover their trees with insulation, cardboard and plastic. Some people tie their trees down and cover with a few feet of mulch.